nwatherapy
Level 2

Printing a bill from Quickbooks desktop

I have a 1099 employee that I track payments to by creating a bill in Quickbooks.  I need to be able to print the bill as a check stub but do not see any method available to print.  Even Command + P is not working.  Please advise.  Thanks!

Solved
john-pero
Community Champion

Other questions

A Bill is not paid until you pay it with a Bill Pay Check. I have to admit I have no visual of what the mac home page looks like or how different your options are than mine in regular desktop for PC but My options are File>Print Forms>Bill Payment Stubs which will allow me to print just the stub of bills paid by check.  I also have a big yellow Print icon smack dab in the middle of the menu bar in each Bill, no clue why DT for mac lacks this simplest of procedures.

but here is a trick you can try as a last resort. Capture a screenshot 

Capture a selected portion of the screen
  1. Press Shift-Command-4.
  2. Drag to select the area of the screen to capture. To move the entire selection, press and hold Space bar while dragging.
  3. After you release your mouse or trackpad button, find the screenshot as a .png file on your desktop.

then open the file and print.

nwatherapy
Level 2

Other questions

I understand a bill is not paid until I've paid it in Quickbooks with a check.  I understand that I can print a Bill Payment Stub, but the only information that provides is the date, the amount, the check, and the contractor without any of the detail of how much they're being paid and for what work.  That detail is in the bill itself.  I have just been taking screen shots but am having to take multiple screen shots and it's just a hassle.  One would think that Quickbooks would offer some easy way to print the Bill itself as it has a lot of detail potentially.  Hopefully there's something easy I'm missing and a member of the Quickbooks team can advise.  Thank you for your feedback.

Kristine Mae

Other questions

Hello there, Nwatherapy.

At the moment, you can only print the bill stubs in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. For now, you can continue taking screenshots of the bill.

I will surely submit your concern to our management team. They will pass it along to our software engineers. They will review this and might include it on the future updates. 

We're just right here if you need our help. Visit us anytime. 

View solution in original post

john-pero
Community Champion

Other questions

"Might include"

Do you , no you do not nor do any of the engineers or even the CEO of Intuit how important having a hard copy of data is? The inability to print a bill or any transaction is just plain ludicrous. The company should be ashamed that it releases such a product bereft of basic functions. Apparently you cannot even save a bill to pdf? 

@nwatherapy you have few choices remaining. One is to succumb to Intuits master plan and import your data into QBO. The other for a greater initial cost but savings over time - buy windows for mac and install with boot camp and buy QBDT for PC to run on your mac , converting your data file to PC version. Second alternate is find a decent used PC that meets specs for QB for PC to use instead of your mac. I can guarantee that as I write that one can still print everything one sees in QB (except journal entries) from a built in print command.

Rustler
Level 15

Other questions

@nwatherapy wrote:

I have a 1099 employee that I track payments to by creating a bill in Quickbooks.  I need to be able to print the bill as a check stub but do not see any method available to print.  Even Command + P is not working.  Please advise.  Thanks!

print the bill and attach to the check is the only way to get the bill detail.  With the bill on screen click print.  Our print bill is on the header line of the bill itself, see pic

Like John I do not know what features Mac does not have, other than assembly items being missing from Mac so you may have to search to find it, if it is there

On another note there is no such thing as a 1099 employee, you might have an employee that has his own business you use, but an employee is on payroll first and foremost

nwatherapy
Level 2

Other questions

It is very unfortunate that such a powerful accounting software is missing such a basic function as being able to download a file as PDF or print it.  I do hope that Quickbooks resolves this issue soon.  My business requires I use HIPAA compliant programs so the online version is not an option for me.

nwatherapy
Level 2

Other questions

Quickbooks rep just verified that my desktop version does not have an option to print a bill at all.  Super disappointing.  Also I know a 1099 is an independent contractor, not an employee.  I was just trying to get a question answered quickly to save myself some type and used the incorrect lingo.  Thank you and have a nice day!  :)

FRG2020
Level 2

Other questions

Hi Kristine,

You say only Quickbooks  Desktop for Mac allows to print a bill. However, I have this software for Mac and i do not see an option to print.  Can you please help?

JonpriL

Other questions

Hello @FRG2020,

As of the moment, there isn't an integrated way or a button that you can click when printing your bills.

In the meantime, you can follow the steps above shared by @john-pero, outlined above so you can print your bills.

Know that you can always visit our Help Articles for QuickBoks Desktop Mac in case you need some reference for your future tasks.

If there's anything else that I can help you with, please let me know in the comment section down below. I'll be always around ready to help.

DealyBob
Level 1

Other questions

I COMPLETELY agree that Intuit is not very customer friendly--- merely profit driven.  Quickbooks for Mac is a very crippled version and Quickbooks Online even MORE so lacks important functionality.

I've overcome this issue by using "Custom Transaction Detail Report" under reports menu.  Then change date in BOTH date range fields to reflect the date of the bill for which you want the detail.  Then use the Filter (funnel icon) to select "Number" from list.  Enter the bill # you want.  You can use the Selection (hammer/wrench icon) to select the columns you want to show on your report.  You can also export to Excel and manually format the bill data as needed.

I hope this helps someone--->we USERS have to help each other b/c Intuit ISN'T going to!!!

lanikaijuice9673
Level 1

Other questions

Thank you

byomtov
Level 4

Other questions

I endorse this comment. It is now April, 2012, about a year and a half later,  and QB for Mac still does not have the ability to just print a bill.

This is ludicrous. Does Intuit care about this product?

Rubielyn_J
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

We want you to have the best experience using the program, @byomtov.

The option to print bill in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac can be a useful feature for any business. Discovering new ways to adapt to our customers’ needs is how QuickBooks gets even better. Your feedback helps our Product Development team determine which feature will be implemented in the next future update. The change is also based on how popular a specific feature request is. 

I suggest sending feedback directly to our software engineers. We're taking notes of our customers' ideas and insights. Let me show you:

1. Go to QuickBooks at the top menu bar.
  2. Select Preferences.
  3. From there, choose Feedback.
  4. On the Preferences pane, click Feedback and enter your suggestions.

While waiting, you can always visit this link for product updates: The firm of the Future. Simply search for QuickBooks Mac and it will show some of the results. 

mac.PNG

Thank you for your patience while we work for a fix. Please know that you can always get back to this post if you have any other questions with QuickBooks. I'll be more than happy to help you again.

Desktop Mac Connie
Level 1

Other questions

I have the same need with QB desktop for Mac.  I currently take screenshots and paste into emails so the vendors can see the breakdown of payment.