JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Thanks for letting us know, @SLaird.

I'm here to help ensure to isolate the error you're getting so you'll able to open your company file, and so you can back to your business right away. 

Let's process troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue, but before doing so let's make sure that your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release. Here's how:

1. From the QuickBooks Help menu, select Update QuickBooks.
  2. On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Update Now tab. You can ignore the table because you don't need to change anything.
  3. (Optional) Put a check mark in the box Reset Update box to erase all previous update downloads. (Note: This may increase the amount of time needed for the update.)
  4. Select Get Updates.
  5. Restart QuickBooks. When prompted, accept the option to install the new release.

Once done, we'll need to verify that only one computer is hosting your company file. Turn off hosting in all computers aside from the server. Here's how:

1. From the QuickBooks File menu, select Utilities.
  2. Select Stop hosting multi-user access. Quick tip: If you see anything other than Stop hosting multi-user access, it mean s hosting is currently turned off on that computer.

If these steps fail to resolve the issue, please visit this article and scroll-down to Solution 1-7 for additional troubleshooting steps: Resolve Problems Opening QuickBooks Desktop or your Company File

Once you've performed the recommended steps and the issue persists, I recommend to contact our QuickBooks Technical Support Team. They have additional tools to do a remote session and investigate this further. 

Here's how you can contact our customer support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

That should do it! Please let me know how it goes. I'll be around to help if you have additional questions about opening QuickBooks company file. Have a good one.