t1000mileman
Level 1

Moving QB to new machine

I will be moving QBDesktop Premier 2017 from my old machine to a new machine. Will the Migrator Tool work for that and will I be allowed to specify the drive where QB will be installed on the new machine?

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Greetings, @t1000mileman.

Thanks for reaching out to us. I’m here to share some information about moving QuickBooks using the Migrator Tool.

Yes, you can use the tool to reinstall QuickBooks and move the company file to the new computer. It also gives the option to install the program to the drive you specify.

Prepare the license and product numbers to register and download the installation files through this link: Downloads & Updates page. Make sure to log in as the admin user to utilize the Migrator Tool.

When moving the files, use a USB flash drive with enough free space. All information is copied over to the new computer and no data is deleted from the old one.

For more information about the tool, refer to this article: Move to or reinstall QuickBooks Desktop in another computer.

That should get you pointed in the right direction.

Reach out to me if you need anything else, I’m more than happy to help. Have a pleasant day ahead!

TamyW
Level 1

Other questions

I am also trying to move Desktop Pro 2019 to another computer.  I made sure I have the current version of Windows 10, used the Migrator Tool to move files to the flashdrive, but when I inserted into the other computer (also Windows 10) and tried to run the .bat file, nothing happened.  I even tried a 2nd time and still didn't work.

I have read others are having problem with the Migrator Tool, but I also see those were posted a year ago or more.  Also, where is a list of files it doesn't copy to I would have to copy?

Do I need to manually do it?  And if so, where is a link to do that?

My original CD has 2016 Installation on it, so that probably wouldn't be good.

Thanks,

Tamy

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

I appreciate the steps you've performed, TamyW.

We can also look into the compatibility of your QuickBooks Desktop Pro version with your computer. You can check out this link for more details: System requirements for QuickBooks 2019 and Enterprise Solutions 19.0.

Then, we can move QuickBooks again. You can also reach out to our Customer Support Team so they can walk you the detailed steps that's specific to your situation. Here'e how:

1. Click this link:https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Click Continue as a guest and Pro as the version.
  4. Select QuickBooks Setup & Navigation > Installing QuickBooks
  5. Scroll down to the page to either Call us or Message us

If you have other questions, post a reply below. Take care always!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

Other questions

@TamyW 

You may download the installer file from this link

https://downloads.quickbooks.com/app/qbdt/products

Then create a backup file (i.e QBB) on your old machine and restore the file on the new one.

Good luck!