th3wund3rninja
Level 1

Hosting Company File On USB?

Hi,

I work for a small business with no dedicated office space currently and we started using Quickbooks Pro last year and we are trying to streamline our bookkeeping process. The current system is QB Pro installed on Laptop and laptop moves around to different sites as needed. This laptop is also used for other tasks which causes work to back up when I need to do bookkeeping.

I have QB Pro installed on my home desktop and I know that you can't use Cloud Storage options to sync the File between computers. Can you host a QB Company file from a USB drive which could be transported from site to site? I see people have used them to transport backups which are then restored, but I would love to be able to make the USB the primary location for the File so that it can be passed around instead of the laptop. Is this possible or will it cause problems similar to Cloud Storage options?

Thanks

Solved
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Hi, @th3wund3rninja.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the QuickBooks Community. Let me help provide some details about hosting Quickbooks Desktop. 

I'd like to acknowledge your effort in sharing very detailed information about your concern. QuickBooks doesn't have an option to host QuickBooks company file from a USB drive. Instead, you'll need to use the hosting service providers so you can run your QuickBooks and store your data files on a service provider's servers. 

You can check this article on what authorized third-party hosting providers can host the QuickBooks Desktop: What hosting providers are authorized by Intuit?

To turn on hosting in QuickBooks, here's how: 

1. From the File menu, select Utilities.
  2. Click Host Multi-User Access.
  3. Click Yes on the confirmation window.

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend to contact our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a remote session.

Here's how you can contact our customer support:

1. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
  2. You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel. 
  3. In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.

Don't hesitate to leave a comment below if you have additional questions about the hosting. I'll be around to help. Have a good one. 

View solution in original post

foggysail
Level 1

Other questions

THIS SUCKS!!!!

I first started using QuickBooks Pro back in 1998 or so AND ALWAYS BACKED UP MY FILES USING AN EXTERNAL THUMB DRIVE!!! That ended today.

Why is QuickBooks now forcing users to PAY MONEY  a commercial backup company? For all I know now, QuickBooks has access to my files which I consider company PRIVATE! 

Joe Howarth

GlinetteC

Other questions

Hi, foggysail.

This isn't the kind of experience that we want you to have.

At this time, I recommend reaching out to our Customer Care Team. We have designated agents that can take a look at your file and explain you in details about this.

Here's how you can contact them:

1. From the Help menu, select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  2. Enter a brief description of your concerns.
  3. Click Continue.
  4. Choose how you'll want to get in touch with our support.

Feel free to get back to this thread if you have other concerns. I'll be here to help you out!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

Other questions

@foggysail wrote:

Why is QuickBooks now forcing users to PAY MONEY  a commercial backup company?

@foggysail 

We are still able to backup our QBD files locally for free anytime. What do you mean they are "forcing to pay money"?