RKN
Level 2

Customize Build Assembly

I would like to use a Build Assembly to notify our warehouse to assemble finished products from their respective individual parts.  I would like to also use this same Build Assembly to notify them of the shipping address of the customer.  Is there a way to customize the Build Assembly to include the Customer information?  I've looked in the "Customize" option on the Build Assembly, but don't see a customer option.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Other questions

Use a Sales Order for the "customer fulfillment" part. An Assembly is an Inventory item; it is Built to have available, to Then Sell. The SO = the evidence of the Customer Order with the shipping info, address and date, etc. Customer info is never part of a Build.

RKN
Level 2

Other questions

I'm trying to combine the build assembly and the sale into one process by customizing the Build Assembly report.  Is there no way to customize this report to include customer information?

Rustler
Level 15

Other questions

@RKN wrote:

I'm trying to combine the build assembly and the sale into one process by customizing the Build Assembly report.  Is there no way to customize this report to include customer information?

No, and the main reason for that is, an assembly build is not for a customer, it for inventory stockage.  It would seem that you build the assembly when you have an order, and that is fine, but QB only builds the assembly to stock it.

Mr Milton
Level 1

Other questions

I've never tried this, but what about using serial numbers? The serial number could be created on the sales order for a line item. The same serial number could then be assigned on the Build Assembly form. Wouldn't this link a particular build to a particular sales order?

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

It's great to have you here, @Mr Milton.

Yes, you can choose the option Autofill from existing inventory when creating the sales order. By doing this, you'll have the same serial number for both inventory assembly item and the sales order items.

Let's first check your QuickBooks preferences to ensure that the serial number feature is enabled.

1. Go to the File menu.
  2. Choose Preferences.
  3. Select the Items & Inventory.
  4. From the Company Preferences tab, click the Advanced Inventory Settings button.
  5. Pick the Serial/Lot Numbers tab.
  6. Make sure to mark the Enable Lt or Serial Numbers tick box.
  7. Choose the Serial Numbers radio button.
  8. Mark the specific forms where you want the serial number to be added.
    • You can also set default settings for your inventory and assembly items.
  9. Click Ok. c.GIF

Once completed, the serial number tracking is enabled for every item including your assembly items. Just make sure to choose Autofill from Existing Inventory when creating your Sales Order.

c1.GIF

You can read through these articles to learn more about advance inventory tracking:

Let me know if you have other questions. I'm always here to help.

Mr Milton
Level 1

Other questions

I am not talking about autofilling from existing inventory. That requires the pre-existence of the assembly. I am suggesting that the SN be created and typed in manually into the Sales Order form, saved, and then type the same SN into the Assembly Build.

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Hello, @Mr Milton.

As of this time, manually adding the Serial Number in the Sales Order and in creating an assembly is not available. Once you turn on the Serial tracking feature, it s enabled for every item in all transactions. Also, you'd be prompted that the serial number you've entered does not exist in your inventory. 

I can see how it would be beneficial to you to have the ability to upload your signature electronically. I'd personally forward this to our Product Development Team for future product feature updates.

Get back to me here if you have other questions. I'm always here to help.

Mr Milton
Level 1

Other questions

You are correct. You would get the warning about the SN being non-existent in inventory. And rightfully so, but that won't stop you from creating the SO with the "non-existent" SN filled in. The inventory will be created when the build is executed using the same SN. Further, it will transfer from the SO to the Invoice automatically when the Invoice is created. I just tried this on our system and it works.

So, back to the original post. Let's say Mr. RKN creates a Sales Order with line item Widget A and assigns SN 1234. Then RKN builds the assembly (in QB) with the same SN (1234). A copy of the built Assembly is then sent to the Assembly/Shipping Dept. to be physically assembled/built. The Assembly/Shipping Dept. then searches for the SN 1234 via the Find form. (I am assuming that the Assembly/Shipping Dept. has direct access to the QB file.) Lo and behold, the original SO appears in the results. Double-clicking on the SO will open the SO and reveal all the customer information including the shipping address. :)

Edit: OK. So I think I have may proven the method, but Occam's razor would suggest a simpler solution. Just send the shipping dept. a copy of the Sales Order.