Budget Friendly Bookkeeping
Level 5

Search Rules Desktop

I have taken on yet another new challenge for a client to get their books back in order.  I came to see there are hundreds of automated rules that may or may not be valid.

First of all, I submitted another question regarding accounts used in a previously created rule.  When I updated the COA, none of the rules changed accordingly.  In other words, the rule still kept the old account which I am sure if used, would simply add the transaction and create the unwanted account on the fly.  I have never seen QB Desktop not automatically update anything relating to the COA before.  This is ridiculous that the rules do not change accordingly.  If any business creates say 1,000 rules, and changes their COA, have fun changing all the rules to match the new COA.

Okay, so Second and the topic of this conversation:

This client has hundreds of rules created and as I said, I made changes to the COA by adding account numbers to descriptive accounts (yet another pet peeve of mine).  I have a choice to make:

1) Delete all the "automated rules" created

2) Search for and edit each of the rules that exist.

(Update: I did come to realize that the rules can be sorted by clicking on "WHEN", "DO THIS", etc..., located on the title bar.  Although this makes it "a bit" easier, it's not the best solution).

The problem if I go with #2 is, I have to manually scroll down the list to find a rule that I need to modify.  There is no search option.  If I'm not seeing something, please help and point out where I would find this.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Solved