cmart6
Level 1

quickbooks missing pdf file component

How do I get the missing pdf file component?

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Hello, @cmart6.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Community. I just got the steps you need to get past this error message.

This can happen during printing, emailing or saving a PDF in QuickBooks Desktop. To resolve the issue, let’s perform the recommended solutions below:

First, install and run the Print & PDF Repair Tool. Here’s how:
1.    Download and run the QuickBooks Print and PDF Repair Tool.
2.    Once the tool completes, try the .pdf file-related task that originally generated the error.

Then, reset your temp folder permissions. Proceed with this step only if the first solution fails.
1.    Press the Windows key + R to open the RUN command.
2.    Type %TEMP% and press Enter.
3.    Right-click an empty area of the temp folder, and choose Properties.
4.    Click the Security tab.
5.    Ensure all usernames and groups are showing on the Security tab have Full Control.
6.    Try saving as PDF again within QuickBooks once permissions have been set to Full Control.

Lastly, confirm you can print to your XPS (only for Save as PDF and Email issue). QuickBooks uses parts of the XPS Document Writer to save as PDF.
1.    Open Notepad and type something on it.
2.    Go to File, then select Print.
3.    Choose the XPS Document Writer and click Print.
4.    Select your Desktop in the save as dialogue box.
5.    Navigate to your desktop and see if you can view the XPS document you printed from notepad.

Once done, try performing the steps you did before encountering the error. If you continue to get the same result, please check out this article for additional troubleshooting steps: Troubleshoot PDF problems.

That should fix the missing pdf file component error message.

Please know you can always reach out to me for all of your QuickBooks concerns. I will be more than happy to help. Thanks for dropping by and take care!

DarqueHellmutt
Level 1

Other questions

2020-03-02

1) the tool didn't work

2) the instructions to mess with my TEMP file settings, et al, shut down my spooler & killed ALL my printers

3) I *still* can't save/print to a PDF in quickbooks (2020 Pro Desktop with Assisted Payroll)

Guess I'll have to call Tech Support now.

Candice C
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Good Afternoon, @DarqueHelmutt.

Before contacting our Support Team, I suggest trying one more troubleshooting step, the QuickBooks Tool Hub. This tool can help fix common errors within QuickBooks Desktop. Here's how to download, install, and use the Tool Hub:

1. Close QuickBooks.
  2. Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file.
  3. Once downloaded, open the file. (QuickBooksToolHub.exe)
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions on how to install and make sure to agree to  the terms and conditions.
  5. Double-click the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon on your Windows desktop, when the install is finished.

Afterward, you can choose the Program Problems tab to help resolve some of the most common PDF and printing issues.

If you get stuck along the way, here's an article that can help: Fix common problems and errors with the QuickBooks Desktop Tool Hub.

Let me know if these steps help. I want to make sure that you're able to get this resolved as soon as possible.

SDDMO
Level 1

Other questions

Hello

My system is missing the XPS Document writer that is referenced, is there a way to download a copy of that?

I have run the Tool Hub numerous times & it doesn't solve my problem.

rafe
Level 1

Other questions

Same for me.  Two computers so far in corporate network environment.  XPS Writer is missing.  Turning the feature off and back on does nothing.  When I follow instructions to manually add it, I get an error: Element not found.  

JoesemM

Other questions

Hello, @SDDMO, @rafe

Let me provide additional troubleshooting steps about the missing XPS Document Writer in QuickBooks Desktop.

Since you already run the QuickBooks Tool Hub and it's still the same. Let's use the Repair Tool, it fixes most issues with the software. Here's how:

1. Create a back up your company file for safety reasons in case we run into problems. 
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open the Windows Start menu, then select Control Panel.
  4. Select Programs and Features then Uninstall a Program.
  5. Click QuickBooks from the list of programs, then click Uninstall/Change.
  6. Select Continue, or Next.
  7. Click Repair, then Next.
  8. Once it's done, select Finish.
  9. Then, Update your QuickBooks to the latest release to have the most recent fixes and security updates.

To learn more about repairing QuickBooks and its complete steps, go to this link: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.

Once you've done performing the steps above, then we'll have to install and run the Print & PDF Repair Tool. You can follow the steps provided by my colleague @KhimG on how to download XPS Document Writer.

Also, you can do a clean install it fix company file issues. Rest assured, a clean install won’t affect your accounting data since your company file and everything it holds aren’t involved at all.

Please know that you're always welcome to post again if you have any other concerns. We’re always here to help. 

rafe
Level 1

Other questions

Could you please provide a link to the specific post by @KimG about downloading XPS

MarsStephanieL
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Hi there, @rafe.

The reply made by my colleague @KhimG can be located next to the main question of this thread. 

If you're not able to resolve the issue even though you have done the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, I suggest contacting QuickBooks Desktop Customer Care team. They have the tools to verify and perform screen share to expedite the resolution.

Here's how to contact them:

1. In your QuickBooks Desktop company, go to the Help menu.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help or simply press F1.
  3. Then click Contact Us at the bottom.
  4. Follow the on-screen instruction and then verify the details to confirm.

Also, the support hours has been changed due to limited staffing during this situation. New support hours for QuickBooks Desktop is as follow:

• For Pro, Premier, Plus Version: Monday to Friday 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.                                      and Saturday 6:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M
  • For Enterprise2 Version: Any time, any day.
  • For Assisted Payroll Version: Any time, any day.
  • For Basic, Enhanced or Standard Payroll Version: Monday to Friday 6:00                                      A.M. to 6:00 P.M. and Saturday 6:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M

Feel free to count me in of you  need anything else. I'll be here to help. Take care.

Blondie
Level 1

Other questions

What do I do when QB Pro 2020 won't save my PDF files?  I just installed the new 2020 QB Pro yesterday. Thought everything was OK, then discovered this issue.  

Ryan_M

Other questions

Hi @Blondie,

Let's get your QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) Pro 2020 to save PDF files. 

In case you missed it, a complete set of troubleshooting steps have been provided by my colleague @KhimG, at the very top of this thread. 

You can also download the QuickBooks Tools Hub to repair this issue.

Here's how:

1. Download the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
  2. Open the downloaded file.
  3. Follow the on-screen prompts to proceed with the installation.

At this point, you'll have a QuickBooks Tools Hub icon on your desktop screen. Follow these steps to run the QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool:

1. Open the recently installed QuickBooks Tools Hub.
  2. Select Program Problems.
  3. Choose QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool.

Right after, attempt to save a PDF from QBDT again to see if that works. 

Further troubleshooting steps can be found in this article: Troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop. Scroll down to Solution 2: Reset your temp folder permissions to continue.

I'll be around in case you need further assistance. Simply leave a comment below, and I'll get back to you. 

YvetteACCG
Level 1

Other questions

Missing PDF Component Error Message: SOLVED

1. Go to the Windows search box
  2. Type 'turn windows' in the search box
  3. Select Turn Windows features on and off>Uncheck the Microsoft XPS Document Writer>Save
  4. Re-check the Microsoft XPS Document Writer>Save

* might require rebooting your computer

auto74
Level 1

Other questions

YvetteACCG

I am going to try your fix.  Have been getting the PDF Component Error since Jan. 2022.  Bought the QB Desktop Pro 2022 thinking it would fix, our CPA is QB trainer.  we spent hours with QB staff and Best Buy and paid my CPA for her time.  NOTHING WORKED.  Have not been able to email invoices, statements or anything related to QB.  Have to print and scan...time and money wasted.  The tool hub was useless.  keep fingers crossed, have insurance audit and it would be nice to use the software the way it is supposed to be used.

ShawntheBookkeeper
Level 1

Other questions

When I try to select 'Save as a PDF' option from Print in any report, I get a warning message saying 'Reports can't fit into a printed page'. I've tried some of the suggestions listed in the community section but unfortunately it has not worked. Can anyone please help.

RoseJillB
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Welcome to the Community, @ShawntheBookkeeper.

We can perform some troubleshooting steps to fix your concern with printing issues in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

These errors are usually cause by the following reasons:

• The paper size or orientation in the printer’s settings does not coincide with that of QuickBooks Printer Setup.
  • QuickBooks Printer Setup settings for PDF printing may also result in an Intuit Printer Library Error.
  • The template might be sized incorrectly.

To fix this, you’ll want to ensure that the orientation printer’s settings and QuickBooks setup are matched. Also, the template’s paper size is correct. To double-check you can follow the steps below:

1. In QBDT, go to the File menu at the top left to get to the Printer Setup
  2. Click Options, then select Advanced.
  3. Choose the Paper Size that you use in the actual printing.
  4. Hit OK to save your changes.

Moreover, if the issue persists we can run a QuickBooks Tool Hub. This helps fix common errors. To use the tool hub, you must first close QuickBooks. Then let’s proceed with downloading the program to your computer. Here’s how:

1. Close QBDT.
  2. Download the most recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Save it somewhere you can easily find it (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop).
  3. Open the file you downloaded (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
  4. Follow the on-screen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
  5. In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Program Problems.
  6. Select QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool. It will take about a minute to run.
  7. Attempt to print, email, or save as a PDF from QuickBooks Desktop again.

More troubleshooting steps are listed on this article: Troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop 

You can also use the links below to help troubleshoot any printing issues or other QBDT issues. These resources include screenshots to help you visualize the process.

Let me know if you need further assistance with printing. I’m just one post away from assisting you. Stay safe!

ShawntheBookkeeper
Level 1

Other questions

I did try almost all aforementioned steps to resolved QuickBooks missing pdf file component issue But no one works. But Now It is fixed and if anyone looking for viable guide So follow the below mentioned guide.

[Removed] 

However, If you have already tried all possible ways to fix it, So i would recommended you Dial [Removed] to reach out QuickBooks Support team and they have skilled as well as experience in resolving such type of issue. 

Charies_M

Other questions

Thanks for keeping in touch with us, ShawntheBookkeeper.

The troubleshooting shared by RoseJillB is use to fix issues with the warning message that says "Reports can't fit into a printed page".

Since the above steps didn't work, I recommend reaching out to our Support Team for further assistance. A live representative can look into this securely and investigate the issue you had.

Here's how to reach them:

1. Open QuickBooks.
  2. Go to Help, then select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  3. Select Contact Us.
  4. Give a brief description of your issue, then select Let's talk, and then choose a way to connect. Phone support may be limited due to volume.

You can check out this article for our most updated contact information and scheduled hours: Support hours and types.

In case you need to learn some tips in managing your QBDT, you can always check our Help articles page. There, you can read some of our great resources and use it for future reference.

If there’s anything else I can do for you, don’t hesitate to reach out again. I’d be glad to help.

PerfectBalance
Level 1

Other questions

XPS Document writer is a windows based problem & nothing to do with Quickbooks.

Try to add xps from the printer & devices and if that's failing too then do a force install of xps document writer by add XPS Document writer manually. Here is an article on how to do it. Quickbooks unable to create PDF due to missing component 

Estaban
Level 1

Other questions

Your fix worked for me.  Brilliant!   Thank you much!

TanyaR
Level 1

Other questions

I tried these steps to repair my xps but when I got to the notepad step there was no xps writer option for my printer.  I can print from quickbooks but can't email my paystubs to employees.  I just bought a new computer that has Windows 11 installed, any suggestions.

QueenC

Other questions

Hello there, @TanyaR.

First off, I'd like to appreciate you for taking the time to follow the recommended steps in the thread. No worries, I'm here to assist you further so you can email paystubs to your employees.

To start, in emailing pay stubs in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT), we need to first enable this feature since this isn't turned on by default. To enable this feature, please follow the steps below:

1. Open QBDT and go to the Edit menu.
  2. Select Preferences.
  3. Click on the Send Forms menu and select My Preferences tab.
  4. In the Send email using section, select either one of these options:
  •      Select Web Mail if you use Gmail, Yahoo, or similar email services.
  •      If you use Microsoft Outlook, select Outlook. If you don't see the Outlook option, click here to know how to set this up.
  •      If you want to use the QuickBooks email service, select QuickBooks Email. If you haven't set this up, click here.

5. When done, click OK

If you still can't email paystubs to your employee, I'd recommend making sure that your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release as mentioned above. This is to ensure your software is up-to-date so you always have the latest features and fixes. 

Additionally, you'll also have to check if you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. QuickBooks uses Adobe to convert pay stubs into PDFs so you can email pay stubs without any issues.

Should you also want to run and customize payroll reports in QBDT, this will help you view useful information about your business and employees. 

If you have any follow-up questions about emailing paystubs or any concerns in QBDT, please don't hesitate to visit us again. I'm more than happy to offer help. Have a nice day.

Douglas15
Level 1

Other questions

IN WINDOWS 11, Microsoft XPS Document Writer IS AN OPTIONAL FEATURE.

The answer is to enable it.

1. Start / Settings / search for Control Panel.

2. Programs and Features.

3. Turn Windows features on or off.

4. Check the box next to "Microsoft XPS Document Writer"

5. Click OK.

Installation takes a minute.

The Quickbooks Tool Hub does not fix this because it assumes you are running Windows 10.

Side comment: Support should have this at the top of its results. Windows 11, people!

alchrisr01
Level 1

Other questions

This worked for me!  I tried all the other referenced methods multiple times, but no one mentioned this solution.  I transferred from Win 7/32 bit to Win 11/64 bit.

Infodataedge
Level 1

Other questions

I'm unable to send email paystubs to my employees. I recently acquired a new computer with Windows 11 pre-installed. Do you have any recommendations to address this problem?

GlinetteC

Other questions

Hi there, Infodataedge. 

I understand the significance of being able to send email paystubs to your employees. I'm here to ensure this gets sorted out.

I agree with the troubleshooting steps provided by @Shelby31 in resolving the challenges of sending email paystubs from your new computer with Windows 11. 

If you continue to encounter the same results after following the steps, please verify that the Send email using feature is enabled, as detailed by my colleague @QueenC in this thread. You can refer to her response for the outlined steps.

Additionally, confirm that the Microsoft XPS Document Writer option is activated, as mentioned by @Douglas15 in his post. 

Moreover, you can take advantage of the payroll reporting functionalities in QuickBooks. These reports give you the ability to manage payroll taxes and easily monitor employee expenses.

If you have further inquiries regarding emailing paystubs or any QuickBooks Desktop concerns, please feel free to post them. I'm here to assist you. Have a great day!