kane_2
Level 2

Other questions

I would like to share a similar situation that happened to me yesterday.  I am brand new to QB.  In frustration with learning the new product, I posted a question regarding importing data into QB Desktop for Mac.  I never put any personal information in my post - just a question about more information being available for using a standard menu step IMPORT.  Within 20 minutes of my posting, I received a call from someone who was from Quickbooks Pro Advisors Help.  He called the number on my registration with QB - he knew what problems I was having with QB - said that they represent QB in helping companies set up their data.  Here is the strange thing, he said he could help me by converting my previous data into QB files.

He then asked to use logmein to access my computer.  At the time, I was unable to work on this.  He simply told me to call him back at X phone number and that they would need 45 minutes to get me up and running. He carried on about it being a recorded line, etc

Out of frustration not receiving any other credible information on my question,  I googled the 800 number and it referenced their site.  I weighed the coincidence of a random call from a scammer with the fact that I just posted something and they called me at the correct phone number asking for the correct person 20 minutes after I posted something.  

I thought - this is AWESOME service.  I am on my way to creating my QB experience.  Regrettably, I called them back, allowed them to sign into my computer for about 10 minutes, showed them a little of what I was needing to have explained and then it happened - he asked me to show him the application I am using to accept payments from my customers.  then the bells started going off - the logo they use on their site is a little different from the real QB.  They were not as certain as to how to answer my questions - I got scammed and someone has access to my computer.

I shut down the connection and restarted my computer.

What I am trying to figure out is WHO is this Quickbooks Pro Advisors Help, HOW did they get my number to call, and is this something that COULD typically happen?  A legitimate QB Pro Advisor trying to help a newbie?  They never asked me for a payment, so this could be innocent enough on their part - understand my needs and offer me help that would result in a consultation fee.

I called intuit afterward, and they were not sure.

Anyone have a little advice as to whether I should be changing all of my Credit card numbers or re-initializing my computer right now?  Thanks.