Scott5702
Level 2

Payments

Hello all. 

First thank your your responses.

I have received your advice to put the use of the deposit in a credit memo and apply it to the invoice. When I google how to apply a credit memo to an invoice it says to apply it as a payment. But then the customer does not see the deposit they paid on the invoice to reduce the amount due. I do not understand why this is a good idea. 

My other thought is why does the Sales Receipt have a balance column if it is not going to change? The invoice screen has Amount and Open balance columns that reflect activity. Why doesn’t the Sales Receipt reflect activity?

Please understand that I am a small business owner who is not an accountant or bookkeeper. I simply use Quickbooks. I have no real interest in being either a bookkeeper or and accountant. I need to use something to run my business and this is what I use. So please do not berate me for not understanding how these things work. THANKS! I have had some unfortunate interactions over the lack of accounting knowledge before. Hence the comment.

This is for the people who develop the Mac version of Quickbooks. It is very inconsistent. Many things that should work the same do not. Drop down lists that do not react the same way depending on where you are in the program come to mind. Some drop down lists alphabetized and some appear random. Sometimes you get find as you type in a drop down list and sometimes you don’t. Etc… Do the people who code this ever use it? Very frustrating.
 MikeinBC how do I find the ledger you refer to?