Vitan
Level 3

How do you do a loyal customer discount on an invoice?

Solved
JonpriL

Payments

Great news, @Vitan!

You can turn on the Discount feature to easily add and track discounts in your invoices.

Here's how to turn it on:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Under Your Company, choose Accounts and Settings.
  3. Select Sales.
  4. Click Sales form content.
  5. Put a check for the Discount option to turn it on.
  6. Click on Save and then Done.

Once done, you can add a discount in the Discount field of your invoice.

Please see screenshot for your visual reference.

Also, you have the option to add a discount as an item of your inventory. Please read the article to learn more about this: Discount as Line Item on Invoices and Sales Receipts.

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any other concerns.

View solution in original post

Vitan
Level 3

Payments

Thank you! Very Helpful!

Vitan
Level 3

Payments

Quick question regarding this. Is the discount supposed to show up under Profit & Loss as "discount given" as a negative number and subtract from the total income?

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Payments

Delighted to hear again from you, @Vitan.

I’d like to take this opportunity to share some information on QuickBooks Online handles discount item and P&L report.

Discount items are not reported as an expense. However, it is reported as a reduction of gross sales. The Profit and Loss report represents the profitability of a business. Thus, it shows your total income and expense.

Depending on how you set up the discount item, the discount item should be included in your Profit and Loss Report. Usually, it is displayed right below the Other Income section. It should show a negative amount.

Stay in touch with me and let me know if you have other questions about managing your discount item and viewing your Profit and Loss report. I’m always here to help.

Mav21
Level 1

Payments

Do I have to do this to each invoice or can a discount percentage be assigned to a loyal customer?  For example, every invoice created for customer XYZ will have a 10% discount automatically applied.

AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Payments

Good day, Mav21.

Giving discounts is also an excellent way to attract more customers.

Currently, setting up an automatic discounts to a specific customer is unavailable.  I'll send feedback to our developers about this. They can put this into consideration so it'll be added on the future updates.

You can check this article about applying a discount on an invoice or sales receipt.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Shan_Auxilium
Level 1

Payments

That's definitely a good feature to go

caecilie
Level 1

Payments

Hi! Is this an option now? I would also like to set up discounts for specific customer groups. Ideally the discount is always applied whenever I enter a new Sales Order for that customer.

Tori B
QuickBooks Team

Payments

Hi there, @caecilie.

Happy Friday. Glad to have you here in Community.

At this time, the option to set up discounts for specific customer groups isn't available. However, I can submit product feedback for you to our developer team, so this can be considered in a future update.

To keep track of our current updates, I recommend checking out our blog.

Feel free to reach back out anytime. Have a great weekend!

jalee
Level 2

Payments

What is the status of the automatic discount ?

JaneD

Payments

Hi jalee,

We will roll out updates for this through our QuickBooks blog. Here's the link for you reference, so you can keep up with all of what’s new and what’s coming soon in QuickBooks Online (QBO): https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

You'll want to follow the recommended steps provided by my peer, JonpriL, to add discounts on invoices.

Keep us posted if you have any follow-ups or other concerns. You can count on us.

jalee
Level 2

Payments

Does any of the Quickbooks solutions offer the auto discount based on client criteria?  This feature is so important I am willing to upgrade to enterprise, accountant, go to online from desktop.... what ever!

Thanks!

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Payments

Greetings, @jalee.

You can automatically apply discounts customers invoice once you enable the Discount feature in QuickBooks Online. Let me guide you on how to do it.

1. Go to the Gear Icon.
  2. Choose Account and Settings.
  3. Select the Sales menu.
  4. Go to the Sales form content section.
  5. Mark the Discount feature.
  6. Click Save.

Once completed, you can add a discount by percent or by a specific amount. 

You can use this article for more detailed steps: Add a discount to an invoice or sales receipt in QuickBooks Online.

Please know that I'm only a post away if you have additional concerns in handling those discounts. I'm more than willing to help. Take care and have a great day!

jalee
Level 2

Payments

Thank you, but my question is --- Is Quickbooks online the only solution that offers this feature?  If so, why?

Does Desktop Accountant or Enterprise or something else offer this feature besides online?

Michael K

Payments

Thanks for replying, @jalee. I'm happy to clarify your question about automatic discounts in QuickBooks Desktop.

At the moment, this feature hasn't been implemented. I understand how important this feature is to you, so I'm going to submit your idea to the Product Development team for possible implementation in future releases.

To stay up-to-date on all future releases for QuickBooks Desktop, you can check out our changelog.

Please reach out if there's anything else I can do to help, I'm determined to be your number one resource for QuickBooks Desktop. Sending good vibes your way!

ontheacre
Level 1

Payments

Has this feature been implemented yet? Considering the continued rising costs of Quickbooks, something this simple should have been accomplished by now? 

Thanks!

Rubielyn_J
QuickBooks Team

Payments

Hi there, @ontheacre.

Currently, the feature of adding a discount to a specific customer still has not been implemented.

I know how essential this feature is to your growing business, so here's a link you can check to keep up with the new updates in QuickBooks Online: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

In the meantime, you may follow the steps given by @JonpriL to add and track discounts on your invoice. 

Also, feel free to check for handy articles you can use in managing sales forms, customizing your reports, and reconciling accounts in QuickBooks Online. Here's an article for the details: QuickBooks Help Articles.

Don't hesitate to get back in here if you have additional queries. I'm here to help you. Keep safe and healthy.

lakat086
Level 1

Payments

I was wondering the same thing

Little Colorado LLC
Level 3

Payments

we need this feature

Little Colorado LLC
Level 3

Payments

what you are suggesting is not automatic at all

Little Colorado LLC
Level 3

Payments

you keep linking to the blog but it has been a number of years and there has been no mention of this at all

jalee
Level 2

Payments

Hi.  Are we to assume this is not going to happen?   I have not seen any functional improvements to the QB desktop in several years.  I see you've tried to make it pretty and look like the online version, however that isn't really impressive, in light of what we are asking for in this particular thread.

Please state what the plan is to provide discount features in QB Desktop pro.

ann098
Level 1

Payments

When you make discount, you have to write down all the information in order to avoid misunderstandings in the future. I advice to make it in PDF format, cause it will make your business paper free and keep everything in one place. I recommend to use https://pdfliner.com/ . It is good for creating, editing and filling PDF files

Christopotamus
Level 2

Payments

Xero has been able to do this for a long time and it really helped me avoid confusion / reduces the amount of human error that occurs. I'm transitioning to quickbooks for other reasons, and this is one thing that is going to cause me a ton of headache.

Is this on the roadmap at all and is there an ETA for automatic discounts as a customer profile option?