Using clean install for Windows
Reinstall QuickBooks for Windows using clean install when a simple reinstall does not correct an issue.
Clean Install or Clean Uninstall is a process that completely removes QuickBooks installation files and folders from your computer. This process is necessary when QuickBooks Desktop function is damaged.
|Before uninstalling QuickBooks Desktop|
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
On your keyboard, press Windows+R to open the Run command.
Type in Control Panel, then select OK.
Select Programs and Features.Note: If the Control Panel is in Category View, choose Uninstall a Program.
In the list of programs, select QuickBooks, then select Uninstall/Change.
- Follow the prompts to complete the process.
Once your done, and before you run the Clean Install tool, rename the Installation folders. You have the option to use the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool to rename the folders for you. If you don't want to run this tool, you can manually rename the QuickBooks installation folders.
Step 2: Download and run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
- Download the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Tool.exe file and save it to your desktop.
- Open QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe.
Select I Accept on the license agreement.
- Select your version of QuickBooks Desktop, then select Continue.
- Choose OK when you see the following message: "QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory."
Step 3: Manually rename the QuickBooks Desktop installation folders
- Use Windows Explorer to display hidden files.
- Rename each of the folder locations listed for your version of Windows.
|Tip: Add 'old' or 'damaged' at the end of the folder name. This will prevent QuickBooks from recognizing the folder in order to create a new one.|
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
Error: Access Denied when renaming folders
Select the Windows Task Bar and choose Task Manager.
Under the Processes tab, select the Image Name column header to sort the processes alphabetically by name.
- Select QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe, then choose End Process.
- Choose Yes to the following message:"WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results including loss of data and system instability..."
Step 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
To reinstall QuickBooks, download and install QuickBooks Desktop.
You must This widget could not be displayed.