smckay
Level 1

How do I add markup to my cost of products on an estimate on the online version of QuickBooks? The desktop version had a column for mark up via % or amount.

I need to be able to enter different markups on each and every estimate as it changes with each project. If I have to hand calculate this, I might as well save my money and use Word to create estimates and invoices and excel to keep track of our small business!

The desktop version works perfect for us except we have two users and were using dropbox to synchronize between the computers.

Solved
jamie4
Level 1
IntuitLea
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Hello smckay,

The markup feature in QuickBooks Online is used only with billable expenses on the vendor side.  So when you have billable time or charges that you pass on to the customer - you're able to set a markup for when you invoice that customer.

Right now, there's no option to add a Markup column on estimates for QuickBooks Online. You may send a product suggestion through this link: http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com. This will make our product developer team aware of how you want the program to work. We'd really appreciate your suggestion since most of our features come from our customers.

Please let me know if there's anything else that you need help with.

View solution in original post

smckay
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I find it frustrating that the online version does not have all the features of the less expensive desktop version! I will be going back to the desktop version until this along with other features are added to the online version. It is a shame as the online would work 100% better for my company which is why we were willing to pay $700/year verses the one time $150 desktop version. To say I am disappointed is putting it nicely.
jeansampson818
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Will this feature be added to QBO anytime soon?  I have two clients that will be leaving QBO if they can't add markup to estimates
chassisfarm
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I have to agree, why wouldn't this be a standard feature.  Markup is a STANDARD business function.  What is the ETA on the fix?
mike_atpa
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I am sure we will also be leaving QB.  Markup are very important to our business
Not applicable

Reports and accounting

I have sent numerous suggestions via the feedback line.  QB has known about this PROBLEM for a long time now.  Please fix soon. It has gone on too long.
allseasongutter
Level 3

Reports and accounting

Agreed. I am using Excel to figure markup, making Quickbooks an expensive Bank register
Not applicable

Reports and accounting

I also would like to see the markup column on the invoice, when you are doing it so you can decide to change or add a markup whenever you need. Agree with everybody when they said Desktop version is way better but it shouldn't be as we pay much more for the online version. The Custom Business Form on online version is a disaster and to have only 3 customized fields that you cannot use on reports or nothing or do not keep information attached to the client is not acceptable.
Not applicable

Reports and accounting

Hi Lea, unfortunately we know the markup feature is used only with billable expenses on the vendor side.  We need it be available when creating estimates. Can you explain why it is available on the desktop version but not the online version?
allseasongutter
Level 3

Reports and accounting

Agree with stvfurman - i believe we have all submitted the required feedback, but this answer is not helpful.
info5
Level 2

Reports and accounting

HUGE requirement for our business.  Will have to seek alternative system.
wendy6
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Definitely need to be able to add markup to estimate. How else am I supposed to keep track of COGS vs. what I am charging the customer? Not acceptable for such costly software.
tom7
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Everything everybody said in the above comments. This is the most important feature from the Desktop version.
accounting6
Level 2

Reports and accounting

I am also struggling with QBO not being able to enter in a markup for my products/services.  I have a wide range, and it is super painful to have to create spreadsheets to figure this and then import them regularly.  I almost might as well save the monthly fee and migrate the bank register to a spreadsheet instead.
bob9
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I have to add my 2 cents here and frankly find it very disheartening that this comment was made 2 years ago and still nothing??  CLEARLY this is a feature many businesses need, including mine!  Since this is a SAS based system now, these types of features can be added quickly and with minimum disruption to your install base. I'm sure there's a priority list and I'm not sure where this falls, but 2 years??? I'm new to QB and had high hopes the online version would mirror many of the same features my accountant has been using on the Desktop version for a long time now.  PLEASE consider adding this feature...
DesignGal
Level 1

Reports and accounting

It's been 2 years. Please add this MARKUP feature to QBO. Many businesses rely on this and it's inconceivable that you would take an essential feature of your desktop version and delete it from the online version. It's like you don't even understand your customers at all.
tom7
Level 1

Reports and accounting

This is really inexcusable. Pay attention Intuit!
C R Schmall
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I just switched to QB online. I hate the no mark up feature! It really takes away from making estimates easier. I have to add 20% Manually to all my subcontractors! I might want to go back to quick books for contractors!

ddubya
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Lea - I'm sorry but based on the amount of time this issue has been reported and the critical nature to YOUR CUSTOMERS, your answer is not the "Best Answer" - not even close.  It's non-responsive at this point and clearly, NOT a priority for you guys.  This is not rocket science to display a couple of extra columns that are being fetched already and then aggregate it on a field on the screen. 

We're in limbo right now transitioning from QBD to QBO over this one, single issue.  We can't complete the transition because of this as we use it extensively in QBD and have now gone into duplicate entry mode to keep the two systems in sync.  You guys have us over a barrel here and truthfully, we're not amused.  Let's offer our opinions on the "Service Aspect" here - F.

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Hello everyone.

I appreciate your time to share your feedback regarding the markup feature for estimates in QuickBooks Online. 

I hear you all and realize the importance that this can have on your businesses and organizations. Sending your feedback online is a big help for us to determine the features that need to be added to our product. At this time, I'll do my part and raise this concern to our Developers so this will be taken care of. 

Please know that the Community has your back should you have any questions.

ddubya
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Betty - Sorry to be the hard-a$$ but this I can't explain strongly enough how vital this one little function is to the sales process for all of these people.  It makes a HUGE difference to let us know whether our quotes (estimates) seem reasonable and appropriately profitable before finalizing them and submitting them to our customers.  If you truly "have our backs," which I think we are all hoping on, can I ask you to report back , good, bad or indifferent, by Fri, 11/29, on what the response was from the Development group on this?  Given the amount of time that has elapsed and the seemingly simple functionality that we're talking about, I think you'd agree that getting a response back from them in 2 weeks should be possible.  Thanks so much for the consideration.  DW

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

Reports and accounting

@C R Schmall wrote:

I just switched to QB online. I hate the no mark up feature! It really takes away from making estimates easier. I have to add 20% Manually to all my subcontractors! I might want to go back to quick books for contractors!

Have you tried the beta Price Rules feature?

Malcolm Ziman
Level 10

Reports and accounting

@ddubya wrote:

It makes a HUGE difference to let us know whether our quotes (estimates) seem reasonable and appropriately profitable before finalizing them and submitting them to our customers.  

It seems to me that the mark up in QBD is based on the manually entered static cost which may or may not be right, not the dynamic average cost based on actual purchases.  So it really has to be taken with a big pinch of salt

edit: I have since learned that the cost entered in the item set-up is in fact not static , that it is dynamic and updates to the cost in the last purchase