qbteachmt
Level 15

Reports and accounting

Oh, for this: "So not everyone will be satisfied with using Straight Line depreciation for everything, which is the case if you use Memorized transactions to enter depreciation expense."

I take it you really don't take advantage of these tools, then? You set the Amounts and the cycle. You can set Monthly, half-year, Annually...

"and shows a procedure for getting depreciation transactions prepared by the spreadsheet imported into QuickBooks as a batch"

Why bother? The Amounts can change from year to year, you Memorize them and it's all Automatic. You don't need to be using only SL, to take advantage of Memorized transactions. I can take 5-year or 15-year or whatever applies and different amounts each time, and set up Memorized Transactions for each occurrence, out into the future. "Memorized" in QB desktop does not = the same and recurring. It = All Mapped out and defined. Whatever amount, convention, etc, and how you want them, you Memorize it. It's more powerful than a Spreadsheet to calculate and import, because it's already in QB, waiting to Trigger on each of those dates.

I do the same thing with Invoices. 84 monthly invoices takes me 3 minutes. All memorized and Automated, even though customers fall into 4 groups, and the charges vary between them.