calicoellie
Level 3

Invoice appears in register

Forgive the silly question but when I create an invoice, it appears in my register and deducts from my operating account.  Is that correct?  I understand that when I apply the payment, it will "clear it out" but I wasn't expecting to see it there.  Please advise.  

Thank you!

Rustler
Level 15

Reports and accounting

Check the item(s) you use on the invoice and insure that where you select an income account, it is an income account. 

the item determines what account is posted to, and the total is posted to a/r

calicoellie
Level 3

Reports and accounting

I'm billing for a monthly fee.  Should the item be "service"?  Should it be showing in my operating account register?

Rose-A

Reports and accounting

Sending good vibes to you, calicoellie.

I'm here to provide you with some information about invoicing in QuickBooks Desktop.

Yes, it should be service item. Also, with regards to our question if you bill for a monthly fee it will show in your operating account register depends on what bank account was used since billing and invoicing are posting transactions.

You may find these articles helpful:

As always, you can contact our customer care agents if you'd like someone to be with you as you go through these steps. They can pull up your account in a secure environment and assist you further in setting up everything you need in QuickBooks Desktop:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Should you need anything else, don't hesitate to fill me in. Have a good one.

Rustler
Level 15

Reports and accounting

there is no service account register for what you bill out to customers, income what you charge customers is income

calicoellie
Level 3

Reports and accounting

Thank you so much!  The articles are exactly what I need.  I wound up creating a billing statement rather than an invoice.  Much appreciated!  

nsellers
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Same thing is happening to me.  We went from QuickBook desktop to Online.  We have several HOA's all are good except for one.  The invoices it transferred over is showing in the bank register as a payment out of the account.  The Payee Account is Accounts Receivable.  I can't seem to figure out how to fix it, no one is helpful.

IntuitLily

Reports and accounting

I appreciate you joining in the thread, @nsellers.

The account where this is posted depends on the account the item is using. You'll need to review the invoice and check the items used. 

Here's what you'll need to do to verify the item's account:

1. Go to the Gear Icon and select Products and services under Lists.
  2. Locate the item and click Edit.
  3. Verify the account used on the Income account field.

Keep me posted if you have follow-up questions or concerns. I'm here to help.

emv1
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I still am having this problem and can't fix. I don't want invoices to customers for services to show up as a deduction/withdraw in my operating accounts. I tried to change the account of my "service" in Quickbooks to something like A/R, but it requires me to use an income account, like my checking. Please help.

Rose-A

Reports and accounting

Hi, emv1.

I'm here to help and share some information regarding handling customer's invoices with service items in QuickBooks Desktop.

When creating a service item in QuickBooks Desktop, you'll need to choose an Income Account since you're charging it to a customer. This will control the flow of the data to accounts.

Your Item is not the Accounts Receivable (AR). Once you process an invoice, this will automatically create your AR. 

However, if don't want to use an Income Account, I'd suggest getting in touch with your accountant. Your accountant can provide more expert ways of dealing with this situation.

You might find the following articles interesting. This will provide you the step-by-step process in handling customer transactions. Also, you can get more details about the different types of items and their meaning in QuickBooks Desktop:

Understanding Items in QuickBooks

Get started with customer transaction workflows in QuickBooks Desktop

You can always get back to me if you have any other questions. I'd be more than willing to lend you a hand.

Numbers Girl
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Hi there - I am having the same problem with invoices showing up on the register.  I have checked each item and all of them are posting to the Sales account which is our income account.  So I am still perplexed as to why these 3 invoices are showing up.  I have double checked the items multiple times.  What else could I look at or what else could be causing it?

Thank you!

Dana

Cfpuinc
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I am now having this same issue. To my knowledge, I haven't done anything different than I've done for the past several years.  I have almost 2 dozen invoices in my register. Even ones that are paid in full. I don't know where the problem lies. Please help. TIA.

Cfpuinc
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I have a question for those of you having this issue.  Do these invoices by chance have multiple deposits with other invoices? Where you 'deposit' into 'undeposited funds' and then make a new deposit to the bank with the selected customers?  That seems to be the connection with mine.

Archie_B
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Thank you for joining this Community thread, Cfpuinc. Let me address your concerns by providing some information about customer transactions and workflows in QuickBooks Desktop.

When creating an invoice, you should ideally create or select a line item with an Income Account

With that, you'll need to go through all the invoices in your register, double-check the product or service you added, and change the income account for each item. 

Once you know the product or service item you added to those invoices, go to your Item List and update the account from there.

Like this:

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Go to the Lists menu.
  3. Choose Item List.
  4. Double-click the product or service item.
  5. In the SALES INFORMATION section, select the account in the Income Account dropdown.
  6. Click on OK to save.

If you're unsure or don't want to use an income account, I suggest consulting an accounting professional to guide you in managing your customer transactions. 

In addition, when QuickBooks receives customer payments, it automatically deposits them to an account called Undeposited Funds by default. You can check out these articles for more information about Undeposited Funds:

Let me know if you still have other concerns or questions regarding customer transactions. I'd be glad to help. Take care and have a wonderful day!

Cfpuinc
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Thank you for your 'automatic reply'. I have not done anything differently than I have been doing for over 5 years.  I use the same services, descriptions, and bank accounts. Nothing has changed. Except these invoices popping up. I thought when they became paid in full they would disappear, they did not.  By chance are they linked to the fact they are deposited with other payments? That's the only thing I can figure out. Not that I haven't done that before in the past as well.

Thank you,

Theresa

Cfpuinc
Level 1

Reports and accounting

And another 'feature' I noticed is that ALL the invoices in the register are a ZERO balance, like not showing a deposit.  I have done split deposits before and have never had this happen. We are in construction and take 'draws' on jobs. 

Kevin_C
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

I know that this hasn't been easy for you, Cfpuinc. I'll make it up to you by ensuring you get the best support available that can assist you with this concern.

You're correct that the invoice transactions would disappear from your account register once you applied the payments to them. That said, I recommend reaching out to our Technical Support Team since it is still showing up in your register. They'll be able to pull up your account securely and perform a screen-sharing session to do further investigation into this behavior and pinpoint its root cause.

Here’s how:

1. In QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT), click Help.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Desktop Help or press F1 on your keyboard.
  3. Click the Contact Us button in the Have a question? window.
  4. Enter your concern in the description box and select Continue.
  5. Choose either Chat with us or Have us call you.

You can also see this article for more details, and be sure to check their support hours to know when agents are available: Contact QuickBooks Desktop Support.

Additionally, please check out this article to view various ways how you can track customer transactions in QBDT: Accounts Receivable workflows in QuickBooks Desktop.

Please know that you're always welcome to comment below if you have other QuickBooks-related concerns. I'm just around to help. Stay safe!

crplastering
Level 1

Reports and accounting

all the support responses are for quickbooks desktop......clearly read the issues.  They state this happened when they moved from desktop to online.  I am having the same issues.  I reconcile my bank statements and those are good.  The problem is in QB ONLINE, my QB ending balance is a ridiculously high negative number compared to my actual positive bank balance.  The negative balance is due to invoices showing up in the register as payments.  I have checked service items and all are under the correct item.  How do we resolve this?

crplastering
Level 1

Reports and accounting

all the support responses are for quickbooks desktop......clearly read the issues.  They state this happened when they moved from desktop to online.  I am having the same issues.  I reconcile my bank statements and those are good.  The problem is in QB ONLINE, my QB ending balance is a ridiculously high negative number compared to my actual positive bank balance.  The negative balance is due to invoices showing up in the register as payments.  I have checked service items and all are under the correct item.  How do we resolve this?

Heide DC
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Thanks for joining the thread, crplastering. Let me share some information on handling incorrect transactions that appear in your bank register.

In your case, you're correct to review each item in the invoice. Other than that, please see if the product/service item's Income account is assigned properly. Please ensure your bank account is not selected in the Income account field.

This is the main reason why invoices show in the bank register. Furthermore, ensure ticking the Also update this account in historical transactions box so you won't have to re-enter the items in each invoice when you make these changes.

Here's what you'll need to do to verify the item's account:

1. Go to the Gear Icon and select Products and services under Lists.
  2. Locate the item and click Edit.
  3. Verify the account used on the Income account field.
  4. If it uses your asset (bank) account, change it to the correct income/sales account.
  5. Tick the Also update this account in historical transactions box.
  6. Hit Save and close.

This way, it will remove all the negative invoices from showing in the reconcile window as a payment.

In addition, you can visit this link to learn how to exclude a downloaded bank transaction: Exclude a bank transaction you downloaded into QuickBooks Online.

Please feel welcome to send a reply if there are any additional questions about managing invoice transactions in QBO. Take care and stay safe.