WOVC
Level 2

User Reports

Can I print a separate report for each user?  I have a report that I customized to print showing transactions for each user by showing the last modified by column but all users are on the same report.  We need to have each user (in our case, doctors) on separate reports so we have totals for each.  If only there were the option to filter by last modified by but that is the one thing that isn't in the list.  

Solved
qbteachmt
Level 15

Reports and accounting

"Last Modified By" is more of a data entry analysis for who did the work, and for the audit trail, to figure out who changed something and when and what.

Are you sure you didn't want Class Tracking? That is how you manage Divisional or Department reporting. P&L by Class, Balance Sheet by Class, Sales by Customer Summary, filter on one Class.

User Reports is more of a quality control aspect, not a financial aspect. You are not supposed to need "total by each user" because that isn't a financial perspective.

WOVC
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Thanks for replying.  Yes, we are wanting the transaction total for each user.  We had previously used software for a veterinary clinic and that is type of reports that we had printed off for each of our doctors that showed totals.  The report that I customized is exactly what we want except for the fact that all users (doctors) are on the same report instead of having a report for each separately. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

Reports and accounting

This is Class Tracking, not user names: "Yes, we are wanting the transaction total for each user."

User names is how you control Access and limited rights, such as, some people have a log in that does not allow them to Print Checks. It's not a Financial option; it is a Usage and Audit Control provision.

"We had previously used software for a veterinary clinic and that is type of reports that we had printed off for each of our doctors that showed totals."

Yes, that is Class Tracking.

"The report that I customized is exactly what we want except for the fact that all users (doctors) are on the same report instead of having a report for each separately."

Because "user" is not financial, but a Clerical Control, aspect.

You want to Enable Class in the accounting preferences. You want to set up three classes: one for each of the two doctors, and one "Admin" class, typically.

Class = Divisional or Departmental reporting of allocated amounts.

Please see my attachment.

View solution in original post

WOVC
Level 2

Reports and accounting

That did help.  Thank you!

MikeyMikeE
Level 1

Reports and accounting

How do you run a report by user? I believe a specific user is updating/editing data.  "Last modified by" is the field I am looking at in QB 20.0 Enterprise.  Any help is appreciated.  Otherwise, dump and sort in Excel?  Thank you

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

I'll share a report that has the information you are looking for, MikeyMikeE.

You can run the Audit Trail report, so you can see the following columns:

• Entered/Last Modified which means the timestamp when the transaction was last modified.
  • Last Modified by is the column that shows the user who made some changes. 

To run the report, here's how:

1. Go to Reports > Accountant & Taxes > Audit Trail.
  2. Select the Date Entered/Last Modified, and check the Last modified by column.

For more information about the Audit Trail report, you can follow these steps:

1. Go to Help > QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  2. Enter Audit Trail in the search field.
  3. Under Answers in Help, click on the About the audit trail report link.

Please let me if you have any follow-up questions or other concerns. I'm here to answer them. Have a good one.

erbgcpa
Level 3

Reports and accounting

It would be helpful if there was a filter for "Last Modified By".  It is definitely useful when you are trying to track what a specific user is doing.  Exporting to Excel and then filtering it for that user is not ideal because all of the data needed to filter by is only included on the first line of each listed item.

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Your suggestions are a way we can improve our system, erbgcpa.

I've personally sent feedback and you can also send on by following these steps: 

1. Click Help from the menu.
  2. Choose Send Feedback Online and click Product Suggestion.
  3. Select the Type of Feedback and the Product Area.
  4. In the Here is my suggestion field, you can enter something adding Last Modified option in the Filters tab when customizing the Audit Trail report.
  5. Click Send Feedback.

Feel free to visit our QuickBooks Blog site for feature updates within QuickBooks. 

If you have other questions about customizing reports, you can click here.

Just mention my name if you have other questions in handing reports. Take care!

APQuinn
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I'm looking for the same thing as you, but I can't find it. The closest thing I found was to find transactions by user by transaction type only. Hopefully this helps you out until they make a report that sorts transactions by users where you can organize the report by user, not by customer.

Hit CNTRL + F > Click Advanced > Click the "Simple" tab > Choose Transaction Type > Click "Report" off to the right > Click "Customize Report" > Check "Last modified by" in the "Columns" section.

Now you can sort by "Last Modified By" for whatever transaction type you chose in the find window.

Hopefully this helps someone out there :)

daraatdykehouse
Level 3

Reports and accounting

I am looking for the same thing as well. I want to make user specific reports where they can only see their own data. It's strange that I can add "last modified by" but then can't filter by that.

MadelynC

Reports and accounting

Hi there, @daraatdykehouse.

I’ve seen that you’ve posted twice on the Community page. My colleague JasroV already addressed this concern for you. You can visit this link to view his recommendation: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/account-management/re-menu-reports-accountant-taxe....

If you need resources, video tutorials, and tips to manage your company, feel free to visit our Support page.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have any other concerns or questions about reports. We’ll be here to help. Keep safe!