wwcarec01
Level 1

I have been asked to change gross payroll totals vs net payroll on reports

On our reports the taxes and gross/net income seem to show up in the wrong locations how can i fix this without messing up the payroll/liabilities?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reports and accounting

Good day, @wwcarec01,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out for support. I want to make sure you're able to update the locations of your payroll taxes.

May I know if you're using the class tracking to add your locations in the employee's paychecks? If so, you're able to update the class on each payroll transactions to correct your report.

Please secure a backup copy of the company file before making the modifications. A backup is helpful insurance if you accidentally loss your data and you need to restore a backup of your company file. Here's how:

1. Go to the File menu.
  2. Choose Back Up Company.
  3. Select Create Local Backup.
  4. Choose a safe location where you want to copy the backup.
  5. Click OK.

Once backed up, you can now edit the transactions one at a time. On the report, double click the tax amount under the wrong location to reveal which transactions are affected. Manually open the transactions then apply the changes. To ensure the correction do not affect your payroll taxes and liabilities, make sure the the tax and net amount of the paycheck isn't changed.

That should rectify the wrong location on your reports, @wwcarec01.

If you're referring to something else, please let me know by clicking the Reply button below. I'll keep an eye on this post for your response. Have a nice day!

qbteachmt
Level 15

Reports and accounting

@Anonymous

Please learn from thins input. The topic is tagged as being for Desktop; location tracking doesn't apply. I believe the word "location" here relates to the account entries.

@wwcarec01

What we need to know is how your payroll data is entered? Are you using Desktop Payroll from Intuit, or entering from a third-party or outside service provider? Are you waiting to see it as Banking? Are you making a Journal Entry? Are you properly handling this as Gross vs Net, or never were, and that is why you are being asked to change this?

Here is payroll Math, the total expense you should see on the P&L for the one paydate:

Gross Wages + Employer taxes

That's All you should be seeing. If that isn't what you enter, that we could be helpful with more details from you. Thanks.