Dav
Level 5

Question About "Inventory Stock Status By Item" Report - Problem

Hi  -

I have a question about how "Available" is calculated in the "Inventory Stock Status By Item" report.  

This appears to be the current formula used in Quickbooks  Enterprise:

On Hand - For Assemblies (To Be Built + On Pending Builds) - Sales Order = Available.

I don't think "To Be Built" (which is picked up in the "For Assemblies" column) should be lowering the "Available" quantity.

For example, let's say this is the data. 

To keep it simple, we'll assume no Sales Order yet.

On Hand = 100

To Be Built = 35

On Pending Builds = 10

For Assemblies* (To Be Built + On Pending Builds) =  35 + 10 = 45

*This is how it's currently calculated in Quickbooks Enterprise.

Current calculation:  100-45  (To Be Built+On Pending Builds) = 55 Available

I think it should be: 100- 10 (On Pending Builds) = 90 Available

The “To Be Built” should not take away from what we have “Available”. 

Once the "To Be Built" are complete, that will boost the On Hand and Available anyway.  This is unlike "On Pending Builds", items that are being consumed to make an item.

As you can see, there is a big difference from thinking you have only 55 “Available” when really you have 90 “Available”.

(Just a fyi to anyone following along, to see specific quantities for an item you can go to  Inventory – Item List – and then type in and look up an item number.  There you can see fields “On Hand”, “To Be Built”, “On Pending Builds”, etc.  If you don’t see those fields, just click on the row, right click your mouse, choose “Customize Columns”, then choose the fields you want to see.)

(The attached image has different numbers because it's an actual example.)

My preference settings for "When calculating Quantity Available for my inventory, deduct:" have both of these checked "Quantity reserved for Pending Builds" and "Quantity on Sales Orders."  I'm ok with the quantity "On Pending Builds"  being deducted.  The issue is that "To Be Built" should not be deducted.  It doesn't make sense to deduct "To Be Built".