brian14
Level 1

Does quickbooks online support barcode scanning for inventory management? I see that the desktop version does but I'm not finding anything referring to online. Thank you

Rustler
Level 15
MorganB
Content Leader

Reports and accounting

Hey there, brian14.

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community with your question about barcode scanning. I'd be glad to provide some additional insight on this topic.

As Rustler mentioned, barcode scanning isn't currently available in the Online version of QuickBooks. I think this would be a beneficial feature to offer business owners.

I'll be sure to pass this suggestion along to the appropriate channel. Doing so will alert the Product Development Team, letting them know barcode scanning has been requested to use in QuickBooks Online.

You can stay updated with news and product releases by visiting the QuickBooks Blog here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/.

Keep up the great work and let me know if you have any other questions. Take care.

1694Kalakaua
Level 1

Reports and accounting

It works half way but there is a bug that makes the barcode scanner unusable, read this.

Somebody at QB , please fix it !!

Mike 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reports and accounting

Hi 1694Kalakaua.

The blog you've shared was helpful for manual entry. QBO currently doesn't have a direct connection to the barcode scanner. However, we've got you some third-party applications that have this kind of functionality and can sync with QBO. You can go to the Apps center in the left navigation and search for any barcode scanning apps. 

In the meantime, I'll pass your feedback to our developers. It will be a useful reference for our future updates. 

If you need anything else, please let us know. We're happy to help. 

Connected Designs
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Does anyone know if bar code scanning is available yet in QBO?

Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Greetings, Connected Designs.

I’m happy you turned to the Online Community about the barcode scanning feature. Allow me to join the conversation and provide some information about this.

As mentioned by my colleagues, this feature is currently not available in QuickBooks Online. We don't have a specific time frame yet but rest assured, we’ll keep you posted here in the Community for any updates.

You can also visit the QuickBooks Blog website to see the most up to date information about the products’ services and features.

This should help you moving forward. Stay in touch if you have any questions about QBO. I’m always here to answer them. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Gavcha
Level 2

Reports and accounting

How far is this option in the process?

productionszani
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I can't believe this simple feature is not available yet!  It is so basic that it should be an emergency to be fixed.  As pe me, it is not a new feature, it's a bug that should be corrected!

MaryLandT

Reports and accounting

Hi there, @productionszani,

The barcode scanning for inventory management is already available in QuickBooks Desktop.

If you need to set up and use this feature, you can go through this article for the detailed steps: Use barcode scanning.

While you can't use this feature in QuickBooks Online, you can visit the Intuit Apps center and search for available apps to scan your inventory.

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Intuit Community. If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know. I'm always glad to help.

valeworkshop
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Is this something that QB online will offer in the future as it already works on the QB Desktop? Trying to decide if we move to another system or not, we need something that is compatible with scanning inventory to make an invoice and scanning inventory that will update our stock levels.

IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

You have some great ideas for improving our inventory management, @valeworkshop.

I can see how barcode scanning would be helpful for both you and your business. As of now, we don’t have a specific time frame on when this specific feature will be available. Rest assured, I’d surely forward these suggestions to our Product Engineers for consideration in future updates.

In the meantime, you may visit this page for announcements: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv.

I appreciate your patience, feel free to swing by here in the Community if you have other questions about tracking your income and expenses.

Jrockmn
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I recently upgraded from desktop to online plus. You would think a the quick books sales person would say that UPC/BARCODE scanning is not compatible .  This is very frustarting and I feel that that I may have to go back to a desktop version. The only apps I am seeing is anywhere from $45 to $100 a month ? Why have Quick Books then ?

Emily M
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Hello, @Jrockmn.

This is not the impression I want to leave with you. As mentioned, this feature is currently not available in QuickBooks Online and feedback was sent to our Development Team. We’re constantly working to improve our product by adding features that best benefit our customers.

In the meantime you can visit the QuickBooks Blog website to see up to date information about products, services, and features.

Thanks for being part of the QuickBooks family.

Ecombiz12
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Why is this still not available for QBO? This thread was started in 2018. It is now 2020. This is something that users obviously want and NEED. It does not make sense that we(QBO users) cannot have the same functionality as desktop users. As a small business owner and ecommerce seller, barcode/inventory management is a CRUCIAL functionality. Please put pressure on the development team to specify a date or I and others will most likely be forced to find other 

bennywaters
Level 1

Reports and accounting

No native barcode support in one of the leading accounting packages.

This is clearly a management decision that has no intention of implementation.

I have followed this thread for years and this does not at all surprise me. Same old excuses - "add a feature request..." "We understand your frustration".... "It is something we will look at putting in a future release"

Working with programmers, I know this is extremely easy for a company the size of Quickbooks to implement. Save your time and choose another accounting package.

KC1999
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Has anyone used any bar code scanning app with QBO enough to want to recommend it?   Does it work?

Quickbooks has suggested using an app for bar code scanning if running QBO - did not see if anyone was successful using any..

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15
MaryAnn_E
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Hi there, @KC1999.

I suggest visiting our App center for applications integrated with QuickBooks. This will help you find a bar code scanning app that fits your business needs.

You can search for them through the Apps tab in the left panel and enter the keyword in the search field.

Also, you can click this link for app collections reviews in QuickBooks: https://apps.intuit.com/app/apps/home.

If you have any related concerns, let me know. I'm here to help.

Varietys80
Level 2

Reports and accounting

We really need QBO to be working with a bar-code scanner. HELLO we're in the digital age here!!! How do you keep track of inventory? Manual Entry? 

" QBO, PLEASE ADDRESS ASAP " 

YvetteVelarde

Reports and accounting

@Varietys80  Thank you for joining this thread.

While inventory tracking utilizing a barcode scanner is a fast and efficient way to keep track of product, it is currently only available to QuickBooks desktop customers.  

The QuickBooks Online community has the option to use a 3rd party app for inventory control as this platform was not designed to work with the hardware.

QuickBooks Online customers subscribed to Simple Start or Essentials, can track inventory assets manually in QBO following the steps outlined in this article: Track inventory manually in QuickBooks Online

If you're using QuickBooks Online Plus, you can use the built-in inventory feature instead of tracking inventory manually. See Set up and track your inventory in QuickBooks Online

Come back if you have additional questions.

Ecombiz12
Level 2

Reports and accounting

I agree, but they apparently have no intention of ever integrating anything. Sad because QBO is great otherwise. 

lostpatience
Level 1

Reports and accounting

When I was talked into upgrading to QB Online Plus, they failed to mention that I would lose my scanning ability. 

I love QB Online Plus but sadly I must say good bye, I'm off to another product. Your lack of response to this issue after almost 3 years is inexcusable.  

Its2020GetWithTheProgram
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Hmmm...think about it.  If QBO added more necessary features, they couldn't sell/partner with the apps or a more expensive system that do provide the needed features.  In my opinion, it's more important for Intuit to capture revenue than produce a more powerful, more inclusive product with the features almost everyone needs these days to run a business.  Maybe some people are satisfied with the old, "I'm glad you brought this to our attention--We'll forward this great idea to the development team", or offering "solutions" that aren't feasible, or possibly not even applicable.  However, I'm yet to be convinced that the motive is not the up-sell thru the app store.  I wish Quickbooks Online was here as a public service, but don't forget that they are a profit-oriented enterprise as well, which I'm sure most of us can appreciate.  Unfortunately, I'm one of the many who is also fed up with lack of transparency and the insincere approach to missing features.  If you are never planning on including a feature, just tell your customers.  It'll still be a pretty good software.  We'll probably still subscribe.  Just please be more forthright and respect your customer base by not trying to pacify us.    I wonder how my "Can't add a permanent sales rep to a customer" post is doing this year--better go check to see if there is a newly suggested work-around.   

airmilitairellc
Level 1

Reports and accounting

Quickbooks needs to realize the online version should mirror the desk top version, but they apparently are sitting on their thumbs on this idea.