lokita
Level 2

General Journals do not show on Vendor records consistently

Hi,

I use QBKS 2019 for Desktop Mac.

I have entered many GJs and allocated most lines to different Vendors. When I check Vendor records in Vendor Quick Reports and Vendor Center, most GJs don't show up.

For example, Vendor XYZ has about 100 transactions via 20 GJs but on the Vendor record only two of the 20 GJs show up. What am I doing wrong? I checked various Vendors, it is the same across the board, and inconsistent. Plus it is not always the same two GJs that show up. Seems to be random. I did set the search criteria to All Transactions.

Thanks in advance.

Solved
IntuitBrooks
Level 9

Reports and accounting

Most transactions have a source line and a non-source line.  General Journals are a little different in that there really isn't a distinction.  There might be bug in how the Vender Center or the QuickReports are looking for them.  Do the ones that show up have the Vendor portion of the GJ in the first line of the General Journal record?  And do the others have it in a line that isn't the first?

lokita
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Thank you for your reply, and yes, that is exactly the case! The only line from any GJ that shows on a Vendor record is the first line. None of the other GJ lines show on Vendor records. To me, that sounds like a bug!

lokita
Level 2

Reports and accounting

I wonder what to do next...

Rustler
Level 15

Reports and accounting

Journal entries should be the exception when using QB, they often do not work as you think they should, and  when you use inventory type items they never work for inventory. It is much better to use the forms on the home page the way QB is designed to be used.    Journal entries also bypass accrual/cash reporting, and will not show on many reports.

The vendor transaction listing only shows bills entered, if you pay a vendor without entering a bill that payment does not show there.  A purchases report by vendor will show it all though

View solution in original post

lokita
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Hi Rustler, thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand about the use of GJs. I have been using QBKS for Windows since it came out in the 80ties, and there was never a problem with it then as far as I recall. Perhaps it is different for the Mac version, as there are quite a few things that are different, for example no Multiple Currencies feature.

As for the vendor records, they also update when I go through Banking/Write Checks, not just with Bills.

In the meantime I have hundreds of transactions in GJs for an entire accounting year that don't do what I thought they would do. Hm. Guess I have to Write Checks for all those transactions for the next year.

IntuitBrooks
Level 9

Reports and accounting

I believe it is the same in QuickBooks Windows.  We are looking into it but what Rustler says is the best approach.  I have a CPA that gives me a handful of journal entries and even those cause the problems Rustler describes. 

lokita
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Thanks everyone for your help. I completely understand that QBKS is not as flexible as I had in my mind...

lokita
Level 2

Reports and accounting

Actually, I did check that with a friend in the Quickbooks for Windows version, and yes, in Windows it works. Every line in a GJ that has a vendor or customer allocated shows up in the vendor or customer record. So there must be some glitch in the Mac version. I will find a way to bring this up with Intuit, somehow. Thank you!

lokita
Level 2

Reports and accounting

PS. I have used QBKS for Windows for many years, and the GJ funcion always included posting to the Vendor record. Actually, I did check that with a friend in the Quickbooks for Windows version today, and yes, in Windows it works. Every line in a GJ that has a vendor or customer allocated shows up in the vendor or customer record.

So there must be some glitch in the Mac version. Any idea how I bring this up with Intuit,? Thank you!

Rose-A

Reports and accounting

I appreciate you getting back to us, lokita.

Allow me to help and provide you with some information about showing every line for General Journal in QuickBooks for Mac.

In order to show every line in a general journal in the report, you will first need to make sure that the filter is set to Name only.

Here's how:

1. In the report screen, click the Filter icon at the top.
  2. Unselect the other options and hit Apply.

If you're still unable to show all the line in a general journal, you can reach out to our QuickBooks Desktop Support to help you investigate this further. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours:

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

You may find this article helpful:

Let me know how it goes if you have any other questions about the general journal. Have a good one.