T_S
Level 1

How do I create an invoice for sales tax only?

I invoiced a taxable customer last month but sales tax was not added to the invoice. Now I need to send the customer an additional invoice for sales tax only. 

I cannot use the tax as an item because it gives me an error that says "This sales tax item has been specified in the Tax field or is a member of the sales tax group being used in the tax field"

How do I create an invoice that is only for sales tax only or is there a better way to do this?

Solved
AlcaeusF

Reports and accounting

Hello T_S,

Thank you for posting here in the Community. I'm here to assist you with any questions you may have regarding the invoice in QuickBooks Desktop.

Creating an invoice for sales tax is currently unavailable at this time. However, you can edit the transactions within QuickBooks Desktop and manually add the sales tax.

Here's how:

1. Click the Customers tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Customer Center.
  3. Go to the Customers & Jobs tab.
  4. Choose a customer.
  5. Double-click the invoice.
  6. Add the sales tax.
  7. Click Save & Close.

I'm adding a screenshot below for your visual reference:

If your customer already paid the invoices with no sales tax on it, the process will be different. You may need to make a deposit and create a separate clearing account for the payment.

It would be best to seek expert advice from an accountant to ensure your books will be correct and will not have problems in the future.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you about the invoice. The Community will always have your back.

View solution in original post

jmello
Level 1

Reports and accounting

I know I'm resurrecting an old post here, but a work around to this is to create a new invoice with a line item for the original amount, taxable. You then add another line item for the same amount, but this time negative and non-taxable (a credit, essentially). You can apply them both to the same income item. The result is an invoice for just the tax.

Lilalykat
Level 3

Reports and accounting

Thank you for this!! I needed to do this because the invoice was created in a prior year and income already reported. Just changing the original invoice would have messed up the accounting figures and I needed the tax due to show up on the current year's liability. Your contribution to this discussion is much appreciated!