Experienced Member

How to create a Profit and Loss report that shows YTD, budget and previous year comparison?

Hello,

my organization needs me to pull every month a report that shows P/L YTD, budget and previous year comparison. I have been capable to put together this report only by exporting 2 reports into one file excel. I was wondering if there is a way to achieve this directly from a QB report. 

Thank you

Senior Explorer **

Re: How to create a Profit and Loss report that shows YTD, budget and previous year comparison?

I don't think there is a way to automatically get that in the format you are looking for.  You can create the Profit & Loss Budget vs. Actual for a two year period, which puts all the data in one spreadsheet and would line up the rows.  But the columns would be in date order, (not current year/month next to prior year month).  You would still need to reorder the columns by cutting and pasting them, and then add a difference formula for the year over year data, but the formatting would already be there, simplifying the task. 

That's a difficult answer, but if you open the report and enter dates 05/01/2018 to 04/30/2019, you will see what I mean.  

If anyone else has the answer, I'm interested!

QuickBooks Team

Re: How to create a Profit and Loss report that shows YTD, budget and previous year comparison?

Hello valprice1,

I appreciate you for posting here in the Community. I'm here to help share information about the reports available in QuickBooks Desktop.

Right now, the only way to come up with this report is by exporting them to Microsoft Excel and combining them manually from there. The custom reports available in QuickBooks are also for Summary, Transaction Detail, and Custom ODBC reports only.

I'm adding a screenshot for your visual reference:

For future reference about exporting reports, you can check the article I find helpful on this: 

Export report from QuickBooks Desktop to Microsoft Excel.

I'm personally taking of this request specific to building reports from the Profit and Loss and Budget. In the meantime, make sure to update QuickBooks into the latest release to ensure any new features or updates are available on your end.

In case you need the steps, here's how:

1. Click the Help tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. Go to the Update now tab.
  4. Put a check mark beside Reset Update.
  5. Click Get Updates.

Feel free to reach out to me for any questions or concerns regarding the reports. The Community is always up to lend a hand.