ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

Hey there, @KCE.

Thanks for joining the conversation here in the Community. Allow me to offer some assistance in invoicing your customers for tracked milage. In QuickBooks Online, this is called a billable expense. A billable expense is anything that is incurred by you on your client's behalf when performing work for said client, and for which you can be reimbursed by them. Here's how to turn on, enter, and invoice them:

Turn on billable expenses:

• Select the Gear icon at the top, then Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
  • Click Expenses from the left.
  • In the Bills and expenses section, select the edit (pencil) icon.
  • Ensure that the following items are checked:
    • Show Items table on expense and purchase forms
    • Track expenses and items by customer
    • Make expenses and items billable
  • (Optional) Set the markup rate.
  • (Optional) Change the income account you wish Billable Expenses to affect. By default, Billable Expense Income is selected.
  • Select Save, then Done.

To enter a billable expense:

• Create an expense transaction on the BillExpense, or Check window as usual.
  • Select the Billable checkbox.
    Note: If the Billable checkbox does not appear, you have not yet set up billable expense tracking properly.
  • Save the transaction.
  • Now, open an invoice and select the customer you made the expense billable for.
  • A screen should pop up on the right-hand side with billable expenses.
  • Select all expenses you would like to invoice the customer for.
  • Enter any other information you'd like to see on the invoice.
  • Save the transaction. 

Should you need it, I've included a link to an article that can help with billable expenses: How to enter billable expenses.

Now you should have an invoice billing your client for the expenses. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions about this. I'm always here in the Community to help.