acheeks
Level 1

Reports and accounting

"Just because something cleared or didn't clear, does not apply. You don't Move anything. You issued a check, and whether or not it is cashed is part of Banking, not part of your perspective. You pay my in Nov and I don't cash it until Jan = you Incurred Subcontractor labor in Nov."

My concern isn't whether or not it cleared, but that the transaction affected that account in the first place.  Since I am reconciling a credit card account, there should be no transactions that I am waiting to clear.  These are expenses, not checks.

"You need a Credit Card Credit, and it gets offset to whatever is listed on the payment to the employee, because it appears your expense is entered twice using two different methods.

I already removed the payment on the credit card account, since this is the only place the payment shows up.  The employee check only shows payroll wages (maybe that was easier for my predecessor) and does not distinguish between wages earned and reimbursements.

"Or, edit the employee payment (if this was a check and not a Paycheck), and it should not be Expense; it would be your CC account, to offset that entry error there and remove the Balance from the CC, leaving the details intact.
Don't make a JE. Fix the transactions that are there, or make a proper offset, such as Credit Card "return.""

If the paycheck was written outside the period I'm working on, I can't fix the check directly and if this bill payment is sitting on the register and never actually occurred there, it throws me out of balance and needs to be adjusted.

I have a lot of what I call sloppy bookkeeping to work through until I can get current.