qbteachmt
Level 15

Reports and accounting

You use the Statement's Cut Off date. For instance, Statement dated Jun 1, for Transactions from May 1-May 31 = Statement Ending May 31.

"If I use the 31st, there is a difference of just under $2k. But if I use the 29th im off by just like $500 or so. Which date should I use, so I accurately reconcile."

Actually, no matter which date you put in or use, you Never have a difference, if you are reconciling correctly.

The date is not the important piece of Info. The Ending Balance is your goal.

I can put in a date that is Wrong as a typo, but I would still reconcile to a known Ending Balance. In other words, the date is Notational to reflect my outside source of reference = the statement or document that has the ending balance which is my Target to "be in balance."

It is best to never reconcile and end other than difference of 0, without resolving that difference. A difference of .25 might seem minor, but that could be an overlooked $1,000 deposit and two checks totaling $999.75, as an example.

It seems perhaps you are trying to mark Everything as cleared in that period, but that is not Reconciling. Reconciling is marking as cleared only those transactions you can see that the bank also processed.

For instance, I just reconciled May, and two checks were not on that statement, and I know they got mailed out at the end of the month, so the payees didn't cash them in time to make that statement = I do not clear these until they finally show on my statement.