LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Sales & Customers

Hi CCI4ASL,

Thanks for letting me know what's going on. I don't have any reports of what you've described regarding billable items on invoices, but I've got troubleshooting steps you can try. While it's important to make sure your customers are getting billed, we definitely only want it to be for the necessary amount! Great job using the hide feature in the meantime to make sure double billing doesn't happen.

First I'd like you to check if Sample company files are affected as well. In case you haven't seen them before, Sample files come full of mock data that you can play around with and test things out. If this error with the billable expenses is happening there as well, I'd like you to call our phone support team to report the error. Here's how you can open a sample company file.

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. If your company file opens automatically, click File and Close Company.
  3. On the No Company Open window, click Open a sample file and choose one to open.

Once in the file, go through the steps you're taking to enter billable time onto an invoice again and see if you have the same issue.

The second thing to do if the error isn't also appearing in the Sample file is to check your company file for data damage. Close out of the sample file, reopen your business's company file, and then follow the steps in the Resolve data damage on your company file article. Data damage can cause strange behaviours such as this in the program.

The final step is to call the phone support team. Premier support agents are available 24/7 at 1-877-772-9158. They'll have more troubleshooting steps they can take you through to figure out what's happening. Don't hesitate to reach out!

You can learn more about billable expenses and other features in the program through the QuickBooks Desktop Help feature in the program's Help menu or by pressing F1 on your keyboard as a shortcut. Navigate to the Help tab and press Search to bring up the search bar. Use keywords to find related articles.

Enjoy your week. :)