Gordon
Level 4

VAT

Lets do it one bit at a time, also please use manage vay so you can see the posting which helps explain it all.

• Purchases:

• When we purchase goods from a UK VAT-registered supplier, the VAT code that we should use is S (Standard VAT).  This is reclaimed from HMRC

Correct

• When we purchase goods from a European VAT-registered supplier, the VAT code that we should use is EGZ (European Goods Zero rated).  No VAT is charged / reclaimed.
Correct in QB 2014, older versions used EGS

• When we purchase goods from a non-European supplier (i.e. China, Thailand, etc.) the code we use is O (Outside the scope of VAT).
Correct for Purchases when entering the bill it is code O but remember that the Vat paid on import related the bill is code S

• Sales:
  • When we supply goods to a UK based, VAT-registered customer, the VAT code we should use is S (Standard).  The customer will claim the VAT back in their VAT return, and we pay the VAT portion to HMRC.

Correct

• When we sell goods to a European based VAT-registered customer, the VAT code we should use is EGZ (European Goods Zero).  No VAT is charged.

Correct

• If we export outside the EU, we should use the O code (Outside the Scope of VA
Normally I would say yes but the O code in Qb is not correct unless it reports the nett sales to box 6. QB 2014 was not correct.

The Unusual situation is more difficult and I wil reply later about this as I think it actually comes uner triangulation rules and I need t re read these.

View solution in original post