Announcements

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
SarahGonzales
Level 5

5 British Entrepreneurs Share the Worst & Best Parts of Being Their Own Boss

worstbest_badge_LARGEJPG.jpg

What is the best part of working for yourself? And what’s the hardest part? Identifying the challenges and the wins of owning your own business keeps it real and allows you to find a reasonable balance of ups and downs. Entrepreneurs in the QB Community UK share their favorite and least favorite aspects of going solo.

BBQ_Michael_Gratz (1).jpg

Name: Michael Gratz

QB Community member name: @mgratz

Business: Prairie Fire BBQ   

Launched: 2013

Originally from Kansas City, USA, Michael Gratz found himself disenchanted with his job as a banker. When he and his wife moved to London in 2012, Michael found the city lacking in American-style barbecue. Add that to Michael’s love of cooking, and a delicious idea was born. Today he and business partner, Eric Rosenberg, operate pop-up restaurants, trade at street food markets and create a retail line of sauces and rubs - all in the traditional Kansas City-style.

Worst Part:It’s very challenging shouldering all the responsibility of the success of the business. There is no room for procrastination, and stress is something you definitely need to manage.”

Best Part: “I Iove being my own boss, making decisions and driving the business in the direction I choose. I get to do the important, non-work things in life like taking my son to school each morning.”

Read Michael’s full story here

Albetta_headshot.jpg

Name: Anna Grint

QB Community member name: @AnnaGrint

Business: Albetta,

Founded: 2013

After ten years in advertising and marketing in London, Anna changed her career course when she had children and began working for a friend. That friend started an ethically-accredited clothing and accessories business in Vietnam which became Albetta. Anna brought Albetta over to the UK, where their line of children’s clothing, toys and accessories are sold online and in shops throughout the UK.  

Worst Part: “My business partner Annabel travels a lot, so I’m very often making decisions without a sounding board. It sounds ideal not to have to gain agreement by committee -- and often I relish it! -- but on occasions it’s hard to take all of the responsibility.”

Best Part: The flexibility to choose your working hours to fit family life around work; the knowledge when everything is running successfully that you’re behind it all; the passion and excitement you feel about new opportunities.”

Read Anna’s full story here

luna_headshots.pngNames: Lucy Watts & Nadia Matthews

Business: Luna Stationery

Launched: 2015

Lucy and Nadia, longtime friends and co-workers, combined their love for design and their first names to create Luna Stationery (LUcy and NAdia). These advertising producers still have their day jobs, so they work double-duty to get their brand of highly-curated stationery out into the world. The dream is to one day open a brick-and-mortar shop. Until then, these two go-getters will continue writing their own ticket -- on beautiful paper, of course.

Worst Part: “We are still striving for the day when we can work full-time for Luna Stationery. We’d love our own brick-and-mortar shop where we imagine a world of amazing stationery, long hours and George Michael permanently on the stereo!”

Best Part: “Starting a business is tough work, but we get so much enjoyment from being creative and being in charge of what we choose to sell. We've learned we must stay positive and true to what we set out to do. And we always make sure we laugh as hard as we work!”

Read Lucy and Nadia’s full story here

bamford_vaughn.jpgName: Vaughn Wolfe

Business: Bamford and Wolfe  

Launched: 2017

Originally from Seattle, USA, Vaughn founded his own beauty line in 2001 when he realised the products he was looking for weren’t available on the market -- so he created them himself. Once he arrived in the UK, he did it again, developing his own natural body scrubs as Bamford and Wolfe.

Worst Part: “I have to be really flexible, because every day is different and presents different challenges. But, that’s the beauty of working for yourself.”

Best Part: “Being my own boss is great because it gives me a lot of freedom. With that freedom comes great responsibility, which keeps me on my toes!”

Read Vaughn’s full story here

(credit: Archer Court)(credit: Archer Court)

Name: Faye Macis

QB Community member name: FayeMacis

Business: Little Happy Candles

Launched: 2016

Faye and her business partner/husband, Luca, sells a wide range of unique smelling candles and melts. The enticing scents range from floral (think daffodil, rose) to fandom-inspired (“Lannister Juice” smells of mulled wine) to the downright quirky (“Monkey Fart” is a fragrant blend of tropical fruits!).

Worst Part: “There are so many things to do behind the scenes, such as balancing the books and doing copious amounts of product testing. Testing can be especially trying - it’s disheartening when a potential new product isn’t working after feeling excited about it and then pouring hours and money into its development.”

Best Part: “Being your own boss is empowering. I’ve gained so much confidence in myself and my products! I love that I can be creative and come up with ideas with little holding me back.”

Read Faye’s full story here

Now it's your turn (1).jpg

How about you? What is the best part and what is the worst part about working for yourself?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us