Did you mean: 
Announcements

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Peter_G_Stone
Level 3

Reply to message

@rooftop I do not know about Canadian law, but in the U.S. you cannot normally have your client's refund sent to your bank account. I am not sure how HR Block does it. That is a well capitalized business that has the ability to front clients part of their refunds and get it back plus some on the back end. How they legally do it, I do not know. Big company, a lot of lawyers I'm sure! As you said, the easiest way to get your money for the tax returns is filing upon payment and that is how most small firms do it. I have HR Block directly across the street from me. I feel bad for the people who go see them. For the most part they provide little value and excessive prices for very simple returns. They have the market cornered on those types of returns because they can provide instant refunds up to X amount of dollars. If I were you I would not compete with that business model; provide valuable high cost services! People have no problem cutting a check when they are receiving exceptional service.

The workflows you need to just experience for yourself and modify as you go. Internet forums and ads do a great job of making everything sound so easy and efficient. Everyone loves telling their amazing experiences, but we both know that isn't real life. You are starting out and most likely you will have to utilize different workflows for your clients to get a solid foundation built for your business. THEN you will be able to be more selective in how you operate.

Of all the workflows you mentioned, I can check a box for each one. Different clients require different services. I go to offices and work on client's DT files, some drop off info at my office, or send me Accountant's copies to clean up. The best clients and my ideal ones are cloud-based, and virtual. I hardly see them (not because I don't like them lol) and everything runs smoothly. While it is not my ideal situation to do a little of everything, I have sufficient funds coming in and I am slowly being able to be more selective with new clientele. Success doesn't come with the snap of a finger; you will probably have to have a variety of workflows starting off and that's okay. Try to focus on what niche service you can provide, but while you corner that market do what you must to keep the revenue flowing. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us