Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Reply to message

I've got you covered, Patti1010.

It would be my pleasure to help you take care of this dilemma and get you on the right track

Thank you for the details that you provided. It's exactly what I need to provide you the best solution. We'll just take things one step at a time to avoid any confusion.

Based on what you've mentioned, we could do a couple of adjustments to transfer the additional deduction from January to February. With this, you won't need to cut them a check, and it'll let you pay January's liability for the exact amount.

That said, let me walk you through the steps on how to make the adjustments:

To remove the extra deduction from January

1. Click the Employees menu.
  2. Select Payroll Liabilities, then Adjust Payroll Liabilities.
  3. Choose the correct Effective Date.
    - It should be the date of the paycheck when you took out the liability.
  4. In the Adjustment is for section, select Employee Adjustment.
  5. Click the blank space under the Item Name column. This will bring out the drop-down arrow.
  6. From the Item Name drop-down menu, choose the liability payroll item.
  7. In the Amount field, enter the appropriate amount. Make sure to enter only the additional deduction as a negative amount.
  8. Click the Accounts Affected button, then select Affect liability and expense accounts.
  9. Hit OK.

To add the liability to February

1. Click the Employees menu.
  2. Select Payroll Liabilities, then Adjust Payroll Liabilities.
  3. Choose the Effective Date. Select any date within February.
  4. In the Adjustment is for section, select Employee Adjustment.
  5. Just like before, enter the payroll item and the amount in the Item Name and Amount fields.
    - This time, you'll need to enter the deduction as a positive amount.
  6. Click the Accounts Affected button, then select Affect liability and expense accounts.
  7. Hit OK.

I know I've shared this on my first post, but let me include our detailed guide on how to adjust payroll liabilities again, just in case.

Once you're done, let's talk about how to pay the liability. Going back, you mentioned a liability check. To clarify, is this for the month of January? If it is, I recommend we void and recreate it.

I just want to make sure it has the right amount. The steps below will guide you on how to recreate the check:

1. From the Employees menu, choose Pay Taxes and Liabilities, then Pay Scheduled Liabilities.
  2. In the Pay Taxes & Other Liabilities section, select the liability for January.
  3. Click View/Pay, then Save & Close.
  4. In the Payment Summary window, select Print Checks.
  5. Click OK.

For more information about this, you can check out this article: Set up and pay scheduled or custom (unscheduled) liabilities

That should do it! You'll be all set with your liabilities after you follow these steps.

You're always in good hands here in the Community. Don't hesitate to reach out to me again should you need more help with this. Thanks for dropping in, cheers to continued success.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us