Did you mean: 
Announcements

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Rochelley
Level 8

Reply to message

@impossible , this is what I'm trying to explain to you.  As long as you have opened your Group Benefits expense item and checked off 'Track Expenses by Job', the Group Benefits expense will separate into the same classes as you have your income items attributed to on your timesheet.  You don't have to enter each expense to the Classes manually. It happens automatically when you make your pay cheque.

Group Expense Payroll Item.png

The same must be done for all Other Payroll Items that you want to separate into classes on paycheques, including Vacation items.  You aren't going to see the division of class on these expenses in the Pay Cheque window.  But you will see them on the P & L by Class or a custom Expenses by Class report.

Note Review Pay Cheque Window only shows the classes that have come in from your timecard on your wage items.

Create Pay Cheque w-classes.png

In your Company Summary are all of the items which you wish to see separated into classes.

Now pull a report.  In this case I pulled P & L by Class and filtered only for this pay cheque's transactions for the purposes of illustration.  Note that the Group Benefits, CPP-Company, EI-Company, Vacation Expense, and even WCB expenses (which just isn't showing in the window because you would have to scroll down to see it), have all been proportionately separated into classes on the report.

P & L by Class.png

I have done nothing to make these class separations other than make the pay cheque above with the wage items set to classes that imported from the timecard.  QB has done all these separations automatically because Job Tracking is checked off on all available payroll expense items that you want to classify (including Vacation items), and Job Tracking for each line item was checked off in payroll preferences.

Take the Group Benefit expense, for example.  We only have one entry for $50.00 on the pay cheque.  But because 23.08% of your Wage expense was classified to Class 1, QB has now classified 23.08% of the $50.00 Group Expense to Class 1 also = $11.53.  The same is true of all other expenses listed.  I don't have a separate Vacation expense account; it is all tracked to my Labour expense account so is included in that amount.

Note that $960.00 went to Class 1 which is 23.08% of the total ($4,160 total wages). 23.08% of Vacation expense of $239.99  = $55.39.  $960.00 + $55.39 = $1015.39 - exactly what is on the report under Class 1 for Labour Expense.

Total CPP & EI expense on this cheque was $303.32.  $303.32 * 23.08% = $70.01 to Class 1.  Same number as on the report.

I'm only doing these calculations to verify that the report has calculated correctly all amounts that you would have expected to be in each class.  I apologize that on my original screenshots, I had neglected to change my EI Expense account to the 'CPP & EI Expense' account on the G/L, so the $95.48 of EI expense on the cheque had been going to Labour Expense account on the report.  That has been corrected now and the report above is bang on.  As long as you have your Other Payroll Item expenses hooked up to the correct G/L accounts where you want to see the expenses, any report you pull by Class for expenses will do exactly what you want it to.  Hope that helps a little more :)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us