Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Reply to message

Hello, @cmart6.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Community. I just got the steps you need to get past this error message.

This can happen during printing, emailing or saving a PDF in QuickBooks Desktop. To resolve the issue, let’s perform the recommended solutions below:

First, install and run the Print & PDF Repair Tool. Here’s how:
1.    Download and run the QuickBooks Print and PDF Repair Tool.
2.    Once the tool completes, try the .pdf file-related task that originally generated the error.

Then, reset your temp folder permissions. Proceed with this step only if the first solution fails.
1.    Press the Windows key + R to open the RUN command.
2.    Type %TEMP% and press Enter.
3.    Right-click an empty area of the temp folder, and choose Properties.
4.    Click the Security tab.
5.    Ensure all usernames and groups are showing on the Security tab have Full Control.
6.    Try saving as PDF again within QuickBooks once permissions have been set to Full Control.

Lastly, confirm you can print to your XPS (only for Save as PDF and Email issue). QuickBooks uses parts of the XPS Document Writer to save as PDF.
1.    Open Notepad and type something on it.
2.    Go to File, then select Print.
3.    Choose the XPS Document Writer and click Print.
4.    Select your Desktop in the save as dialogue box.
5.    Navigate to your desktop and see if you can view the XPS document you printed from notepad.

Once done, try performing the steps you did before encountering the error. If you continue to get the same result, please check out this article for additional troubleshooting steps: Troubleshoot PDF problems.

That should fix the missing pdf file component error message.

Please know you can always reach out to me for all of your QuickBooks concerns. I will be more than happy to help. Thanks for dropping by and take care!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us