Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
BMW
Level 2

Reply to message

Hello @Mahmoud , 

I'm going to try to explain how I did this to make it show up on Actual vs Estimates and also the Balance Sheet.  Once you have it set up, it's easy to track and create reports.  

First, you need to create your Balance Sheet accounts.  For example, I have a construction project in process right now, so I have my "fixed asset" accounts set for Hard Costs with subaccounts (Phase I, II and III, Sitework, etc.) Soft Costs, with subaccounts (marketing, appraisals, architect, engineers, inspections, etc).  You may have these already set up for your business.  

Second, you need to set up Items.  When you set those up, be sure to choose "service" as the type and to check the box that says "This service is used in assemblies or is performed by a subcontractor or partner."  That will drop down a couple more options.  On the left side, choose the fixed asset account that you need that item to post to and on the right side, choose the income account that you would use once the sale goes through for your project.  If you do not have one, you can create a general income account such as construction services.  Create all your items and subitems that you want to track. 

Now, you are ready to create your estimate. Create your customer and create a "job" for that customer.   Then create an estimate for that job.  Choose from your item list and then enter the estimated (or budgeted) amount.  

When you receive an invoice or AIA, you will use the "item" tab instead of the "expenses" tab in the enter bill screen.   When you enter the charge, click on the "items" tab, choose the item from your list, enter any additional description, the cost and then under "customer:job" choose the job that it applies to.  

When you want to view a report for your project, go to Reports, Jobs Time Mileage, Job Estimates vs Actual Detail.  Choose the Job and then you can view the report and see how you are doing based on your original budget.  By using items and linking them to your balance sheet accounts, they will also show on your balance sheet report. 

I hope that helps!!  

Need to get in touch?

Contact us