Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
managerharry
Level 2

What is the proper way invoice for non inventory items and have COGS show up on reports?

I run a small computer repair shop.  I'm coming from an old and long unsupported Microsoft Office Accounting to QuickBooks Pro 2016 and I'm struggling to figure out some basic invoicing tasks. Doing PC repair I often purchase non inventory parts for repairs and I can't figure out how to get this to show up correctly when running a report--- Say I create a new item, a non inventory part I check box for "this item used in assemblies or purchased for a specific customer" I enter the cost I paid for the part and enter it under the "Purchases-Hardware for resale -Cost of Goods Sold" expense account Then I enter the Sale price and enter that under the "Sales - Hardware" Income account. However when I then run a Profit and Loss report it shows the full sales price of the item as all income without any breakdown of the actual cost of goods sold. So say I make an invoice for $60 of labor and a part that cost me $30 for which I charge the customer $45. When I run a profit and loss report I would expect to see a line for Cost of Goods sold reporting the $30 I paid for the part and reflecting my $75 profit on the job. Instead it reports the full $45 under Sales Hardware as though that is all profit with no way to show the cost that I paid for the part. I figured maybe I have to first create a P.O. for the part and then apply it to the invoice but that didn't seem to work either. Also I'd be curious how people write up an invoice for a flat rate repair in quickbooks, something like a screen replacement, something for which the part price may change incrementally, but for which I charge a standard flat rate fee.  When I invoice the customer for these flat rate repairs I don't want to have a breakdown of parts and labor on the invoice. Thanks!

Solved

Need to get in touch?

Contact us