Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Reply to message

Hey there, bwaugh1986.

I’m here to help determine why the tax collected doesn’t match with the tax payable column.

If you're using the desktop version, this issue may happen when the Sales Tax Liability Report and Pay Sales Tax window don’t have the same date ranges or report basis. Let's perform some troubleshooting steps to resolve this.

The first thing to do is open the Sales Tax Liability Report. Then, make sure the ending date matches with the date in the Show sales tax due field.

Here’s how:

1. Go to Reports at the top menu bar, and select Vendors & Payables.
  2. Choose Sales Tax Liability.
  3. Delete the From date, and ensure the To date on the report matches the date in the Show sales tax due through box on the Pay Sales Tax window.
  4. From there, review the amount.

If you get the same result, check the Sales Tax Preference and make sure the reporting basis are the same. I'll guide you through the steps.

To change the reporting preference:

1. Go to the QuickBooks Edit menu, and select Preferences.
  2. Choose Sales Tax.
  3. On the Company Preferences tab, note the selected basis in the When do you owe sales tax? box.

•    As of invoice date - Accrual basis
    •    Upon receipt of payment - Cash basis.

4. Ensure the STLR basis matches the preference.

If the issue persists, you can refer to the Sales Tax Liability Report and Pay Sales Tax window do not match article for further troubleshooting steps. Make sure to go directly to the Audit the Sales Tax Payable Account for section.

However, if you're using QuickBooks Online, create a sales tax adjustment to correct the amount. You'll find the detailed instructions through this link and go directly to the Sales tax adjustment section.

That'll do it. By performing these steps, the sales tax collected and sales tax payable will show the same amount.

Reach out to me directly if you have questions about QBO. Please know that I'm here to lend a helping hand. Wishing you the best.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us