How to Apply for a Director Identification Number
In our earlier posts we examined How to Apply for TIN Number, How To Register For VAT In India, How to Apply for Registration Certificate for Shops & Establishments, TAN – Who needs it & How to Obtain it and How To Register for Profession Tax.
Continuing our series on the formalities that the Indian government requires from every business, we bring you a guide on how to apply for a Director Identification Number.
What is a Director Identification Number?
It is an unique Identification Number allotted to an individual who is an existing director of a company or who intends to be appointed as the director of a company pursuant to section 266A & 266B of the Companies Act, 1956 (as amended vide Act No 23 of 2006). It is allotted by the Central Government.
Who can apply?
Existing company directors or an individual that intends to be appointed as a director of the company, can apply for allotment of DIN.
How to apply
1. Applicants can e-fill in a form given here.
2. Along with the form , applicants need to attach a photograph and the following supporting documents
- Proof of identity
- Proof of Residence
- Proof of Date of birth
- Proof of father’s name. ( this is not required in the case of foreign nationals)
- Affidavit in the case of single name as per the guidelines
- Copy of passport in the case of foreign nationals. Originals are not required but all documents must be self-attested by the applicant.
3. If you choose to get your DIN 1 certified by a professional ( i.e. Chartered Accountant/ Cost Accountant / Company Secretary in whole time practice), the DIN will be approved by the system immediately online. For Applications attested by a CA or Cost Accountant, their membership number will need to be entered. In the case of a Company Secretary the certificate of practice number will be entered.
4. The Applicant must then register here and login to upload the application. A fee of Rs. 100 will be collected through Net Banking or Credit Card Payment.
5. If attested, the DIN will be allotted immediately. In case of any other signatory (i.e. director/ Managing Director/ secretary of the company with which applicant is to be associated), the MCA DIN cell will examine the application before allotting the DIN within one or two days.
6. On approval, the applicant needs to intimate the required company regarding the issue of DIN. The company will be required to intimate the Registrars of Companies (ROC)