An Excerpt from the Interview:
• What made you start your venture?
My mother-in-law used to produce 500+ Kg pickles every year for friends, relatives, and the likes. I own a small setup of a Digital UI / UX Agency in Mumbai under the name of Digi-Cult. We thought to merge the capabilities and make it a commercial business.
Hence we laid down a plan, defined TGs, started branding exercise, sorted out packaging and logistics, created a website & launched virtually. Goosebumps Pickles was founded in December 2011 and we made the website live for people on April 27th, 2012.
• What has been the key to your business’s success? Genuinely Homemade Goosebumps Pickles are genuinely homemade. No preservatives are added. The mangoes are baked in the sun rather than boiling in water to achieve bulk quantities. This has excited more taste buds to re-order. Product Innovation We’ll take pride to tell you that we are the first to start a pickle with new-age ingredients like Jalapeno and Olives mixed in traditional base of masala which is now the highest-selling pickle from our kitty.
New age techniques We try to respect and retain heritage and tradition but merge it with new-age Marketing / Packaging techniques to touch base with the targeted age group.
• What are the major challenges in your line of business and how did/do you overcome them? Fresh Pickles 1. We make the seasonal pickles in bulk quantities – the ones which are mango based. 2. Pickles like Green Chilies, Jalapeno Olives, Red Chillies, Amba Halad are made in smaller quantities as they can be sourced around the year. This allows us to deliver freshly made Pickles to their meal.
Logistics & Delivery We strive to maintain the freshness from our home to the Delivery Company’s warehouse and to ensure it reaches in the same condition to the customer. Hence we have managed to crack 4-layer packing, which allows us to say that we are leakage free.
• Do you have a mentor who guides/advices you on matters of the business?
We have four co-founders aged from 28 years to 58 years. Our experiences and knowledge are our mentors.
• Have you benefitted from the use of any specific technology for your regular operations? As I mentioned, we are ourselves a Digital Agency working on Web & Mobile applications. Hence we have developed our own controlled tools for Order Management to Inventory Management to Logistics & Delivery, which has helped us lot in automating many tasks.
• What strategy do you follow for Customer Satisfaction & Expansion?
Customer Satisfaction is solely from 3 things: 1. Taste & Freshness of a Homemade rather Mom-made Pickle.
2. A well-designed point of sale.
3. The experience in which the product reaches the consumer’s home safely. We have tried to achieve all 3 of them in our journey.
The expansion would always be more focused on intellectual property and innovation rather than numbers. We intend to explore more regional pickles and combine heritage with new-age techniques… a home in Kerala should enjoy a Jharkhand pickle at ease retaining the same taste and experience, this is what we intend.
• What, according to you, are the top 3 skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?
1. Forget Competition and hence their Strategies.
2. Forget the words Valuation, Funding & IPO for at least 3 years post-commencement. Then they all might talk about you.
3. Focus only and only on Product enrichment, User experience & Presentation.
Visit their Website: http://www.goosebumpspickles.com Like them on Facebook: Goosebumps Pickles