What’s an Invoice?
An invoice, bill is a financial and commercial document issued by a seller to a buyer, relating to a sales transaction – it includes details on products / SKUs, quantities, agreed prices for products or services the seller had provided the buyer, tax etc. Payment terms are usually stated on the invoice.
Create and Customize Invoice in QuickBooks
In QuickBooks, you can create invoices easily and customize the way you need it. Here are the steps:
- Click + New and create “Invoice”
- Select the ‘Customer’ from the list – whom you need to send this invoice. If the customer is not added, click ‘Add new’.
- Write the customer name or Click ‘+ Details’ and fill up the necessary fields at once e.g. email id, address, GSTIN, full name, display name etc. Click ‘Save’.
- Customer email id and address automatically appear on the invoice.
- Now in the invoice, select the product/service details from the dropdown, if this hasn’t been created, click ‘+ Add new’. The right side Product / Service Information window appears. Select the ‘Non-inventory’ (a product which you sell but don’t require inventory to track) OR ‘Service’ (types of services example: tax preparation, consultancy, logistics, marketing services, educational services etc.) or Bundle (collection of product / services that you sell together e.g. Bread + Butter + Egg; Note Books + Pencil + Eraser. In this example, we select ‘Service’
- Service window appears,add all the information as necessary e.g. Service Name, SKU, SAC code etc. Click ‘Save and close’
- Add other details as required on invoice e.g. Message on invoice that will be seen by customer along with the invoice.
- Scroll down and add a statement if needed and attach file using ‘Attachment’. Clicking on ‘Show existing’ will show previous attachments or you can add all or some of the invoices filtering by dates.
- Click on ‘Print or Preview’. You can either save the invoice as a pdf or take a print of the invoice or see the preview. You can also select Print later.
- Clicking on “Print or preview” will take you to print the screen (as shown below).
- ‘Print delivery challan’ option is also available
What’s the difference between Delivery Challan and Invoice? Do you know?
Here’s the difference:
- Invoice is the legal proof of the ownership of goods/service with all the risks, liabilities it carries along with it; it shows the actual value of the goods
- Delivery challan shows that the customer has acknowledged the receipt of goods, but does not show their legal responsibilities or ownership. Also, it is mostly used during the transportation of good from one place to another mentioning the description, condition, and quantity of the goods, but it may not result into sale; also it will not show the actual value of the goods; delivery challan can contain the value of the goods mentioned on it, but will not include the tax charged to customers.
Sometimes invoice and delivery challan can be merged to show as “Tax invoice cum delivery challan”.
- ‘Make Recurring’ option is used when you want this invoice to be created on a recurring basis e.g. monthly, quarterly, fortnightly etc.
- Click on ‘Customize’ if you would like to customize your invoice by changing the templates, adding logo, changing the invoice content etc.