Established by Bhaskar Krishnamoorthy, Cavintek provides productivity and workflow/BPM software for small and medium enterprises. Their primary product flow allows businesses to transition from managing their workforce and other data through spreadsheets to an integrated platform that allows them to cull insights to grow and improve their business. We chat with Bhaskar. An Excerpt from the Interview:
• What made you start your venture?
In the late summer of 2010, I was helping out a CEO friend of mine who was running a BPO company. I tried to understand the different business processes and I found that almost the entire operation was mostly managed via spreadsheets.
This was inherently not scalable and there was a tremendous amount of insight that you could draw from mining this data that the management was losing out. That experience was the genesis of Cavintek and I started off creating small tools for migrating from spreadsheets to business applications.
• What has been the key to your business’s success?
1) Adaptability 2) Outstanding support 3) Focus on the long term
• What are the major challenges in your line of business and how did/do you overcome them?
As with any tech startup, hiring was a big challenge. Identifying the best candidates based on our requirements and convincing them to join a startup with so much uncertainty was challenging. I spoke of our dreams and what we wished to achieve and I guess they found honesty in my conversations.
The fact that my core team has stayed on for more than 3 years makes me believe that we have stuck to our core vision and are on the right path to success.
• Do you have a mentor who guides/advices you on matters of the business?
No, we are mostly on our own but we do have some well wishers whose advice we seek now and then.
• Have you benefitted from the use of any specific technology for your regular operations?
We use Google Apps extensively and have been with AWS since inception. We also took advantage of free Microsoft software and technologies as part of being in the BizSpark program.
• What strategy do you follow for Customer Satisfaction & Expansion?
Although traditional phone support is still largely prevalent in India, we have implemented multiple lines of communication, including live chat, email, videos, and webinars that improves the business’s responsiveness, ultimately resulting in customer delight.
For expansion, we are constantly exploring various channels like online marketing, social media marketing via LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus to expand and reach more prospective customers.
• What, according to you, are the top 3 skills needed to be a successful entrepreneur?