If you’re receiving a partial amount on a PO or making a partial payment, you can add part of a PO to a transaction, and link multiple transactions to a single PO in QuickBooks. It’s simple, easy and user-friendly.
To receive or pay part of a purchase order in QuickBooks Online:
- Select + New from left navigation frame when you log in to QuickBooks Online.
- Select Expense, Cheque, or Bill (in the screenshot below, we have selected “Expense”)
- From the Payee drop-down menu, select the supplier or payee. A PO section will appear.
- To add a PO to the transaction, select Add. Details from the PO will be added on the first available line in the Item details or Category details section.
- Edit the quantity or amount for each line to reflect the portion that you would like to record as partially received or paid.
- Select Save and close.
- Multiple transactions (expenses, cheque, bills) to a single PO can be linked in QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks Online automatically closes a PO when all quantities and/or amounts on the PO are accounted for across all of its linked transactions.
- You can manually close the PO by changing its status or by manually closing individual lines on it.