In this era of e-commerce, small businesses in India must build their internet presence to attract more customers and stand a cut above the competition. One basic requirement of a robust web visibility is a registered domain name with the .in suffix. A registered .in domain name can help the enterprises target local customers and boost their brand value in the country. To register a domain name in India, small business owners should:
- Choose a simple, short, and memorable domain name that drives traffic to their online business.
- Preferably, use the business name or one that describes the business as the domain name.
- Check if the name is available for registration with an online domain registrar.
- Research and pick a suitable domain registrar based on the registration prices and add-on services offered, such as privacy protection.
- Check if the domain name is available on the website of the chosen registrar.
- If the name is available, proceed with the registration process as per the instructions given on the registrar’s website.
Several domain registrars such as SpeedHost.in, Net4.com, and instra.com charge a nominal fee for registration and renewal of domain names with .in suffix. However, some others such as Zoho.in allow the same for free.
Registering a unique and memorable domain name involves a small and periodic investment for Indian small businesses. Even so, it is beneficial because it helps promote their business in the country by:
- Making it easy for potential local customers to locate their website.
- Building credibility for their brand.
- Increasing their chances of garnering new customers.
- Giving the company an air of professionalism.
- Setting up an easy-to-remember point of contact online for prospective customers to obtain information about the company.
- Helping search engines to easily find and list the business website on their pages.
The right domain name is also an effective and economical marketing tool for small businesses establishing themselves online.
Thus, an important step when starting e-commerce enterprises is to register the domain name. Registered domain names with .in suffix present an excellent opportunity for small domestic and international firms to represent their ventures in India. By choosing an appropriate domain name, these enterprises can create a strong online identity in the domestic market. They can also protect their brand names, achieve better brand positioning in online searches, and expand their business in the country.