Entrepreneurship is a mindset that can be developed by any professional who aspires to become an employer. With proper education, this mindset can be inculcated into the minds of young professionals. Entrepreneurship education seeks to provide students with the knowledge, skills and motivation required to encourage entrepreneurial success and lay down the conditions and solutions to the challenges that one might foresee in a venture.
With entrepreneurship as a career option gradually picking up in India, there are many institutes that are offering full-credit management courses in entrepreneurship. Some of these are full time residential programs and some are part time. Here is a comprehensive list of some reputed Indian institutes offering diploma/executive programs for aspiring entrepreneurs.
• Entrepreneurship Development of India (EDI), Ahmedabad They believe that the fast pace of changes has brought out the need to innovate newer ways of establishing and managing business. To address this need the Institute pioneered a two-year Post Graduate Diploma in Management-Business Entrepreneurship (PGDM-BE).
• Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore Management Programme for Entrepreneurs & Family Businesses. The objective of this year long programme is to equip individuals with the management skills required to start and run their own business.
• Management Development Institute, Gurgaon They have a Student Entrepreneurship/Internship program in their Centre for Entrepreneurship. It endeavours to develop individuals, who are motivated towards wealth creation rather than towards specific job careers.
• Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur 6-month Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM). The ultimate objective is to create effective and successful entrepreneurs out of those who have no exposure to this vocation, but have an inclination and desire to turn into such entities, and to enhance the skills of those who are currently functioning as entrepreneurs.
• National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD), New Delhi The Institute focuses its attention on small business development. It offers various programs like Small Business Promoters Programs; short workshops for SSI entrepreneurs including managing finance, export marketing for SSI entrepreneurs, Leadership and team building skills for SME Owners etc.
• Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship, Bangalore A premier Business School offers Management Development Programme for Entrepreneurs for all those motivated individuals who wish to start or grow their own business.
• Diploma/Certificate Courses in Entrepreneurship promoted by various institutes: o FICCI, New Delhi o Small Industries Service Institute, New Delhi o National Science and Technology Entrepreneurship Development, New Delhi o ASEED and Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), New Delhi Eligibility for Admission To be eligible to apply for admission into some of the Programmes mentioned above, the individuals are required to:
• Be at least Graduates from any recognized University,
• Have an interest in entrepreneurship-social or commercial- even though currently not functioning as entrepreneurs,
• Possesses basic computer literacy,
• Clear CAT, XAT or MAT with required percentiles. The eligible applicants will be subject to a process of Personal Interview and Group Discussion. Some programmes enrol students directly on payment of required fees.