Most often than not, small businesses overlook the importance of fortifying their office security as they don’t see themselves the target of burglars or hackers.It’s a move that can cost them dearly in the long run.
In today’s bad economic scenario, small businesses are more vulnerable to break-ins, hacking and shoplifting than larger organizations due to their insufficient measures of a proper office security. Below we discuss some important pointers that can help you in safeguarding your business premises from such risks:
Install Data Security:
Remember, today theft is not limited to shoplifting alone, your credit card info, client’s data etc. are equally vulnerable. Hence, a proper data security should be in place.
• Make Firewalls active in all the personal computers at the office for complete business security. Contain the communication with any third-party networks in order to protect the crucial and important data of the organization.
• Enable all encryption functionalities on your existing software applications.
• Regularly take a back up of your critical systems in a portable hard drive or another system and ensure that those backups are protected.
• Use strong passwords and regularly change those passwords.
• Regularly monitor your networks, hosts and applications for abnormal activity.
Use Strong Methods Of Storage :
Classify your data, whether in paper or electronic form, based on what is most valuable and risky if compromised. Then, take extra precautions to protect it.
• Use sturdy and trustworthy locking systems for filing cabinets. • Keep important documents in bank lockers.
Inform And Educate Employees:
Inform employees how they are expected to protect company information.
• Inform them about the risk involved in sharing vital and confidential company information with third parties and strangers.
• Educate them on the importance of using passwords, setting strong passwords, avoiding storing of passwords and sharing of passwords.
• Also, show them how to protect property as laptops, PDAs and paperwork in and away from the office. In an event of misuse or violation of these rules, take a tough stand so as not to have the same thing repeated in future.
Unplug The Unnecessary:Remove inactive accounts, such as phone, e-mail, Internet and voicemail belonging to former employees and consultants.
Take Help From Business Security Companies:
Take help from business security companies in order to get your premise completely secured. • Get a proper alarm system installed at the office along with 24 hours surveillance cameras. • Also hire professional and trustworthy security guards at the business premise in order to make it difficult for the intruders to enter the premises.
As a business owner, it’s wise to remain alert and watchful of the employees and people around you.
• Always employ people who come with high and proper recommendations.
• Don’t carry unnecessary risks like huge amount of cash, important data etc. with you.
• Regularly check your books of accounts and manage cash counter to see any malpractices.
• Keep a watch on employees who stay back regularly after working hours.