When you start your own business, an online presence through a website becomes an important tool for you to connect with customers you know as well as potential customers. While creating your website and working with a web designer, it may have been recommended that you get a webmaster to run your website.
Here, we explore whether a webmaster is necessary and what you should discuss with a prospective webmaster before hiring him/her. To start with the basics
What is a Webmaster?
According to Wikipedia, “A webmaster is a person responsible for maintaining one or many websites. The duties of the webmaster may include ensuring that the web servers, hardware, and software are operating correctly, designing the website, generating and revising web pages, A/B testing, replying to user comments, and examining traffic through the site” This person could also be referred to as a web architect, web developer, site author, or website administrator.
Why Businesses Hire Webmasters?
• It is good to have the support of a tech-savvy individual who can advise you on your website needs
• A good webmaster will be able to tell you whether you need to increase certain features or get rid of those that don’t work for your business • To Optimize your website’s search optimization features
• To update the content on your website
• To assist in hosting issues and business email
• Fixing problems or glitches that may arise
What are the key areas to explore before hiring a webmaster?
• Have a clear idea of the person’s previous work- check the websites they have worked on- are the up to date
• Ask for references- when entrusting an individual the task of maintaining your website, it is essential that you speak to their previous clients and see that they are happy with their work especially their speed of updates and availability
• Explore their SEO skills, since this is an important aspect of their job, ensure they are well versed with what it takes to make sure your website appears on the top of search results
• Find out what technology they are familiar with. The reason you are hiring this person is that they have more expertise than you. Before you hire them to get a clear idea of the technology they are familiar with to ensure that it is not a basic level that you or your employees could easily master without assistance
• Do research on the best security for your website and ensure that a webmaster you hire is able to implement these security measures on your website • Ensure that they are well versed with copyright issues. Make sure you have a clear picture of these above questions before hiring a webmaster to manage your site as this could be an expensive proposition for your business.