Learn how to personalise and add specific info to sales forms.
QuickBooks Online gives you the tools to create attractive, professional-looking invoices, quotes, and sales receipts.
Customising the appearance and layout of sales forms is a simple yet effective way to enhance your business' communications. You don’t need to be a designer to make eye-catching forms. And you get to decide what info your customers see - add the info that matters most to your business. Once you create your masterpiece, save it as a template so you can use it any time. Here's how to customise sales forms in QuickBooks Online.
Customise the appearance and info on sales forms
Customisation steps are slightly different for different levels of QuickBooks Online. Follow the steps for your version.
You can create separate templates for your invoices, quotes, and sales receipts. And you can also have multiple templates for each type.
Step 1: Start a new template
- Go to Settings ⚙ and then select Custom Form Styles.
- Select New Style.
- Select a sales form type.
Step 2: Choose the overall appearance
Let's start with the layout. You'll see a preview of changes as you make them.
- Select the Design tab.
- Give your template a name.
- Select Change up the template to choose a layout. These layouts are fixed. We recommend using the Airy new. Note: If you plan to use Stock Keeping Units (SKUs) or create progress invoices, you have to use the Airy new design.
- Select Make logo edits to upload a new logo.
- Select and pick a colour scheme. You can enter a HEX code (the six-digit combination of numbers and letters for a colour) for a truly custom colour.
- Select Select a different font to change the font and size.
- Select When in doubt, print it out to adjust the margins. This is important if you send printed forms to your customers.
Step 3: Customise the info on your forms
Go to the Content tab to start fine-tuning the details. Forms have three sections: header, table, and footer. Select a section on the sample form to start editing. Edit each section separately. Whenever you're ready to save your changes, select Done.
You have many customisation options. We won't cover them all, but here are a few highlights:
Step 4: Personalise your email message
Make things personal. You can change the message customers see when they get their invoice or sales receipt. If you want to use your default messaging, you can skip this.
Go to the Emails tab. Change the subject line, greeting, and message body. You can even customise reminder emails. Note: QuickBooks doesn't show shortened URLs when you send emails to customers.
Step 5: Select and use a template for invoices, sales receipts, or quotes
QuickBooks uses your default template each time you make a new invoice, sales receipt, or quote. You can select a specific template for specific transactions directly from the form:
- Create or open an existing invoice, sales receipt, or quote.
- Select Customise in the footer.
- Select a custom template from the list.
Step 6: Set a default custom template
QuickBooks uses the first custom template you create as your default for invoices, sales receipts, and quotes. To set another custom templates as the default:
- Find your template.
- Select the ▼ in the Action column.
- Select Make default.
Step 7: Edit custom and manage templates
To manage your custom templates:
- Select Settings ⚙ and then Custom Form Styles.
- Find your custom or standard template.
- Select Edit in the Action column.
Note: Once you have created and saved your template.
- Select + New and then Invoice
- Select Customise (at the bottom of the invoice).
- Select your new template and then Save.
In QuickBooks Simple Start, you can have one invoice template at a time. You can customise invoices, but not other types of sales forms. All the tools you need to customise invoices are on the form itself:
- Create or open an invoice.
- Select Settings ⚙ on the Invoice form.
- On the Choose what you use panel, select Change what your customers see panel, decide what company info you want customers to see. You can select company info from the Content section.
- When you're done customising, select Done.
Customise the details
You can add fields, change the colour scheme, and enable payments on invoices. Here are just a few things you can do:
- Create or open an invoice.
- Select Settings ⚙ on the Invoice form. On the Choose what you use panel, select Change what your customers see to decide what company info you want your customers to see.
- Select the Content section.
- Under Forms, select the Form numbers.
- Under Display, select or clear Terms, Shipping, or Due Date checkboxes to add or remove these fields in the form.
- Select the Design section to change the colours, font, and logo. Tip: You can enter a hex code in the Colour field if you want a truly customised colour.
- Select the Email section. Personalise the message your customers see when they receive their invoice.
When you're done customising, select Done to close the customisation window. Then finish your invoice.