Learn how to turn on class tracking in QuickBooks Online Plus.
Classes represent meaningful parts of your company, like store departments or product lines. You can use them to get deeper insights into your sales, expenses, or profitability for each part of your business. Once you turn on the feature, you can assign classes to transactions.
Here's how to turn on class tracking, so you can start organising your transactions by class.
New to class tracking? Check out our class tracking overview to learn if it's the right tool for you and how to get started.
Step 1: Turn on class tracking
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select Company, then select the Categories section to edit.
- Tick Track classes.
- Tick Warn me when a transaction isn't assigned a class. This is optional, but it means that when you look at reports, you know everything's been classified.
- Under Assign classes, select One to entire transaction or One to each row in transaction.*
- Select Save, then Done.
*Tip: Select One to entire transaction if you don't need to enter a class for each product you sell to a customer. You can save time and assign one class to the entire invoice or sales receipt instead. This adds a class field or column on your forms so you can assign transactions a class.
Step 2: Set up your class list
Now you can set up your class list. Create classes that represent different parts of your business.
Remember, it's best to keep it simple. The more straightforward your classes are, the easier it is to understand your reports.
If you want to set up classes to track payroll, turn on class tracking for your payroll transactions. Then, you can assign a single class to all your employees, or assign different classes to different employees.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Payroll Settings.
- Under Preferences select Accounting or select Preferences then Accounting Preferences.
- In the Class Tracking section, select Edit ✎ to turn it on. Then choose how you want to track classes.
- Select Continue, then Done.
Note: If you don't see the Classes section, select a transaction account and then select Customise.
- Choose a class for each employee, or assign one for all of them.
- To save your preferences, select OK, then OK again.