Learn how to set up your team’s permissions so they can track billable time to clients.
As a ProAdvisor, your team can track their time for projects, billable time, or any other work directly in QuickBooks Online Accountant. We'll show you how to add your team members as employees or suppliers, give them the right permissions, and track their time.
Step 1: Add your team to QuickBooks
First, add your accounting team to QuickBooks Online Accountant.
Step 2: Add team member and check permissions
After you set up your team as employees or suppliers, you can create timesheets and track their hours for them.
But, if you want them to be able to track their own time, add them to your team list. This gives them permissions so they can enter timesheets for themselves.
To see who already has permission on your team:
- Go to the Team menu.
- Select the team member you want to give access to. Then select Edit.
- Select the Firm Administration and Books tab.
- Change the Firm users permission to View only.
- For Customers and accounts receivable and Suppliers and creditors, select Yes.
- Select Save.
Step 3: Track time
Now that everything is set up, your team can track their time. Follow these steps each time you need to track time for yourself or a team member:
- Select Time, then Time Entries.
- Select Add time, and choose a team member.
- Adjust the date range if necessary and select a day.
- Add the duration of hours worked, or toggle Start/end times on to enter a start time and end time for that day.
- Select Add work details to add a customer or project, make the timesheet billable, and any other applicable options.
- Select Add to add more timesheets for that team member.
- Select Save and Close.
Note: If you use QuickBooks Time, you and your team can track your time there, and it will appear directly in your QuickBooks Online account.