Use this article to better understand and troubleshoot possible GPS issues with QuickBooks Workforce (formerly QuickBooks Time mobile app).
Learn what to do:
- If your location is incorrect or missing
- If you can’t clock in or are being clocked out
- If you need to report a problem
If location is incorrect or missing
GPS is pulled from a combination of satellites, Wi-Fi, and cellular data. There are many factors that can't be controlled, such as the device’s technical capabilities, weather patterns, atmosphere, and more. This can make it difficult for a GPS point to be pulled, or find out why a point may not be pulling or your location is incorrect.
If your location is incorrect or missing, these may be some of the reasons:
- The device is in power saving mode, airplane mode, or any low battery setting.
- The app was force closed (while clocked in, the app should be open in the background)
- Restrict background data is on (Android) or background app refresh is off (iOS).
- You’re signed out of the app, not on the clock, or on break
- The app or the device operating system is out of date
- The device is off or the battery died
- You’re in a location with satellite interference
- The device is overheated or damaged
- You’re clocked in through a computer or kiosk
- A timesheet was manually created (or edited) by your admin or manager
- To find out if this has happened, you can sign in on the web dashboard and go to Time Entries. Find your timesheet, and view the Timesheet log. If the timesheet was created by someone else or edited, GPS points won’t show.
Note: The level of cellular service doesn't affect whether GPS points are pulled.
Troubleshoot for your device
Unable to clock in or automatically being clocked out
If you can’t clock in or are automatically being clocked out, make sure you have location services turned on on your iPhone or Android device for the Workforce app. You may get the following notifications:
- Turn on location services to allow "QuickBooks Time" to determine your locations.
- You’ve been clocked out—Your company requires a location while on the clock…
If a QuickBooks Time admin sets location to required, the location permissions for the app need to be set correctly so you can clock in or stay clocked in. Features like geofencing or nearby jobs need constant access to the location.
Report a problem
- Sign in to your Workforce app.
- Select More, then Settings.
- Select Help & Support, and then Upload device logs.
- Enter a Description of the issue, then select the camera to upload any images that may provide context.
- Select Upload.
- Once you send in the device log, contact our support team, and ask them for your case number associated with the log.