Learn how to set up and track your services and non-inventory products.
In QuickBooks Online, it’s easy to track what you make and spend on each product or service. To help you get started, here’s how to add the services you provide to customers, like design or bookkeeping services. You can also follow the same steps to add anything you buy or sell but don’t track as inventory.
Note: If you track what’s on hand, here's how to set up your inventory products instead.
Step 1: Add your service or product’s name, SKU, or category
Tip: Already keeping track of your products and services in a spreadsheet? Save time and import them all at once.
- Go to Sales, then Products and Services.
- Select New or Add a product or service.
- Select Non-inventory or Service.
- Add a name, SKU, or category for what you're tracking. Tip: Categories let you group products and services so they’re easier to find. Learn how to use categories.
Next, add the info you need for tracking what you make and spend on each product or service.
Step 2: Add your service or product’s sales info
- Select I sell this product/service to my customers. This lets you track what you make on this product or service.
- Add this item's description on sales forms. This shows on invoices, sales receipts, and other forms you send to customers.
- Add the Sales price/rate.
- From the Income account ▼ drop-down, select the account you use to track your income.Tip: You can use an income account QuickBooks already set up for you. But if you don’t see one that fits, scroll to the top of the drop-down list and select + Add new. Be sure to use separate accounts for tracking income from products and income from services. This helps you with creating reports later on.
- Select the Sales tax category ▼ drop-down and specify how your product or service should be taxed. If you don’t see this drop-down set up sales tax in QuickBooks.
Step 3: Add your service or product’s purchasing info
- Select I purchase this product/service from a supplier. This lets you track the cost of this item.
- Add this item’s description on purchase forms. This will show on bills, purchase orders, and other forms you send to suppliers.
- Add the Cost. If the price changes, don’t worry. You can still enter the updated price when it’s time to buy supplies.
- Select the Expense account ▼ drop-down, then find the account you use to track the cost of things you sell.
- Select your preferred supplier. QuickBooks remembers this so you can reorder this product easily.
- Select Save and close.
Next steps: Track what you buy or sell
Once you’re all set up, you can easily track what you buy or sell. Here are helpful steps so you can get started: