If you've exported your hours from QuickBooks Time to QuickBooks Desktop (QBD) and the hours aren't displaying correctly when you run payroll within QBD, this is most likely because the payroll detail needs to be refreshed. First, check the sync log in QuickBooks Time for errors, then look for the timesheets in the Weekly Timesheets in QBD.
Find your hours in QBD
QuickBooks Time exports hours to the QBD Weekly Timesheet, not to the payroll details field. To make sure that the employee hours were exported, in QBD, go to Employees > Enter Time > Use Weekly Timesheet.
If you see the hours listed in the Weekly Timesheet, perfect! Run payroll as normal and the hours should appear. If they are still not in payroll, check your employee settings in QBD.
Check employee settings.
If the hours are listed in the Weekly Timesheet and you've run payroll but the hours don't display in the payroll fields, make sure that the employee settings are configured to use timesheet data to calculate payroll payment totals.
- In QBD, go to the Employee Centre.
- Select the edit icon corresponding to one of the employees.
- Select the Payroll Info tab.
- Below the Earnings box, make sure that the Use Time Data to Create Payroll payments box is checked.
- Make sure the employee is assigned to the payroll schedule that you are running payroll for.
- Select Save.
Note: If hours were exported prior to this setting being selected, those hours won’t be transferred from the Weekly Timesheet to payroll because no payroll items are associated with them. Either manually add the hours in payroll this time round, or contact support for help with re-exporting the hours.
Note: If employees may be paid overtime or double time, make sure the employees are assigned the appropriate payroll items in QBD. Then, in QuickBooks Time, enable overtime tracking (Company Settings > Payroll & Overtime > Overtime). Lastly, ensure those payroll items are mapped.
Finish running payroll.
Review the hours for accuracy. If the hours are not displayed:
- Continue to run scheduled or unscheduled payroll.
- Review the payroll payment detail for each employee, one at a time.
- In the payroll payment detail window, use the calendar icons in the top right corner to adjust the date range to any other date range.
- To allow QBD to register the date change, select another field in the payroll payment window or press the tab key.
- In the pop-up window that asks you if you would like to utilise the timesheet data recorded for those employees, select Yes.
- Use the calendar icons to adjust the date range to the correct pay period.
- Again, to allow QBD to register the date change, select anywhere else in the payroll payment window.
- In the pop-up window asking if you would like to utilise the timesheet data, select Yes. This will recalculate the payroll payment totals based on the hours recorded in the Weekly Timesheet.
- Save, and repeat this process for each payroll payment.