If you're connected to an accountant in QuickBooks Online, your accountant can undo or delete completed reconciliations. But you may not need to do this and lose all your reconciliation work.
Try these tips before you ask your accountant to undo a reconcile:
- If your statement beginning balance doesn't match what you have in QuickBooks Online, you don't have to delete or undo the reconciliation. Instead, see fix an incorrect beginning balance.
- When you're reconciling, see how do I reconcile an account if you can't get the difference between your bank and books to equal zero.
If it makes sense to start over with a reconciliation or undo a completed reconciliation, try one of these options:
Restart the process of selecting transactions
If the best plan is to start selecting transactions again:
- Use the Filter icon to hide transactions after the statement ending date. This is the default setting so the filter may already be set.
- Select the checkbox at the top of the checkbox column until you remove all the ticks.
- Check the beginning balance on the statement to make sure it matches what you have in QuickBooks Online. If the beginning balance doesn't match, see fix an incorrect beginning balance.
- Double-check the statement information you entered when you started reconciling.
- If it isn't correct, select Edit info to correct it.
- Then start over. Find each transaction on your statement and make sure it matches what you have in your books until the difference equals zero. Learn more about reconciling.
Start reconciliation over again
If you find you reconciled against the wrong bank statement, it may be faster to completely unreconcile a session.
- Under the Save for later dropdown arrow, choose Close without saving. This removes any selection changes you made during the current session.
- Confirm that you want to close without saving.
- Select the correct account and enter the statement info. You're ready to start reconciling.
Manually undo a reconciliation you already completed
If you already completed a reconciliation and you need to undo it, you can use the register (or account history) to unreconcile each transaction that was reconciled.
Note: When a transaction is marked cleared (C) in the register (or account history), it has a tick in the reconciliation screen.